Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binutils 2.31 Offers Faster DLL Linking For Cygwin/Mingw, Freescale S12Z Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binutils 2.31 Offers Faster DLL Linking For Cygwin/Mingw, Freescale S12Z Support

Phoronix: Binutils 2.31 Offers Faster DLL Linking For Cygwin/Mingw, Freescale S12Z Support

A new release of the Binutils collection of important tools is now available with a number of new features and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The x86 assembler now supports a -O[2|s] command-line options to enable alternate shorter instruction encodings.
    Where can I find more information about this? Has GAS finally reached multi-pass capability, or what exactly does it refer to? In the 2.31 manual, I can't find it in the command line options, where am I supposed to look?

Furthermore I don't understand why it has to be an option instead of the default.

Oh well, I guess the worst assembler just got a little better.

Comment

If binutils 2.31 is installed "info as". In the x86 options it says that -Os includes -O2 optimization.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
        If binutils 2.31 is installed "info as". In the x86 options it says that -Os includes -O2 optimization.
        Yeah but what exactly does it do? That's what I'm trying to find. What opcodes (examples?) and what kind of shortening. There's *many* such tricks in x86.

One of the problems with GAS compared to virtually every other assembler has always been lack of true multi-pass, and only did it on branch shortening encoding. Other instructions, if they forward referenced a symbol, would always be encoded with largest encoding possible (i.e. 32-bit immediate instead of sign-extended 8-bit).

I don't know if this fixes that or what.

Also why isn't it the default? Is a reason given or nah?

Comment

Working...
        X