Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Gallium3D Moves Closer Towards OpenGL 4.5 Compliance

Phoronix: Nouveau Gallium3D Moves Closer Towards OpenGL 4.5 Compliance

While the RadeonSI and Intel i965 Mesa drivers have been at OpenGL 4.5 compliance for a while now, the Nouveau "NVC0" Gallium3D driver has been bound to OpenGL 4.3 officially...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael

Is it really only the support for re-clocking that is making the NVidia Mesa driver slow?
    If re-clocking was implemented would it have the equivalent performance as the AMD driver?

Comment

You can test it. Force your Nvidia Card with the Nvidia Driver to only opperate in the low Power Clock settings like nouveau. But i doubt that reclocking is the only thing, but its the biggest obviously feature that is missing and that make it slow.

Comment

I'm always impressed by the supported features of nouveau. Not that I would recommend to buy Nvidia, but the community driver is offering at least an up to date technical base. Really sad how Nvidia blocks the open source development by not providing usable firmware's.

Comment

Nouveau is good feature wise, but without automatic reclocking it is useful only for UI acceleration and video playback.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
            Hi Michael

Is it really only the support for re-clocking that is making the NVidia Mesa driver slow?
            If re-clocking was implemented would it have the equivalent performance as the AMD driver?
            No. Prior benchmarks have shown that having DVFS support will get nouveau close to 70% of the official driver in terms of performance, but mileage may vary depending on the workload. One of the problems is that the bottlenecks with the boot clocks are not the same as the bottlenecks with full clocks. This means that it doesn't make much sense trying to optimise performance further until DVFS works, because optimisations that help for low clocks could have zero effects (or even negative effects) when the system runs at high clocks. At least on the shader compiler side, there's plenty of ideas to move forward (with various levels of success) once DVFS works reliably: instruction scheduling, various code-motion optimisations, bank-aware register allocation... they're just not going to give much returns in the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
              Nouveau is good feature wise, but without automatic reclocking it is useful only for UI acceleration and video playback.
              It is not true, ..without "DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL" is not good for video playback (many movies have white small cube without deinterlace temporal spatial)

Comment

It's not true, cookies grow on trees.

Comment

Whoop! Igalia have just posted the patches required to get OpenGL 4.6 working on i965 https://github.com/Igalia/mesa/tree/...4.6.0.20180713

I've merged it onto the master branch, compiled successfully and now glxinfo shows:

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
                  Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
                  Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) (0x191b)
                  Version: 18.2.0
                  Accelerated: yes
                  Video memory: 3072MB
                  Unified memory: yes
                  Preferred profile: core (0x1)
                  Max core profile version: 4.6
                  Max compat profile version: 3.0
                  Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
                  Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2

Comment

About those Nvidia firmware, is not possible to extract them from the closed source driver, or is there a legal shenanigan prohibiting doing it?

Comment

Working...
                    X