IT87 Linux Driver For Supporting Many Motherboard Sensors Is Facing Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT87 Linux Driver For Supporting Many Motherboard Sensors Is Facing Death

Phoronix: IT87 Linux Driver For Supporting Many Motherboard Sensors Is Facing Death

While Linux hardware support for desktop PCs has advanced a great deal over the years, one area that continues to struggle is support for fan/thermal/power sensors on many of today's motherboards. This area has struggled with not enough public documentation / data-sheets from ASIC vendors as well as not enough upstream Linux kernel developers being interested in the hwmon subsystem. The IT87 Linux driver for many common Super I/O chips found on countless motherboards is unfortunately facing a downfall...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I'm appreciative of his work, I'm not sure why he's saying it would be so difficult to get it mainlined. You can literally copy it87.c and compat.h into drivers/hwmon and it builds along with the rest of the kernel. I guess he doesn't expect to just be accepted as one bulk commit.
    Last edited by Chewi; 17 July 2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I wrote my own fan controller based on this module for my nvidia (fan connected to the motherboard). I already use it a half a year and I never had any issues with it.

Comment

Press F to pay respects. Now, what driver people will use?

Comment

I don't get it. It's a P.O.S driver somewhere in hwmon. A lot of those drivers look like total shit anyway.
          Also. Why delete it? Just keep it stale on github. Maybe someone will care enough some day.
          Cry-baby move?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            I don't get it. It's a P.O.S driver somewhere in hwmon. A lot of those drivers look like total shit anyway.
            Also. Why delete it? Just keep it stale on github. Maybe someone will care enough some day.
            Cry-baby move?
            Cause you know, removing stuff is "fashionable" these days.

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post
              I wrote my own fan controller based on this module for my nvidia (fan connected to the motherboard). I already use it a half a year and I never had any issues with it.
              start submitting it upstream!

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Cause you know, removing stuff is "fashionable" these days.
                yeah, my am386 and sparcstation 2 are still sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwIZDtrRj4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3O1YVUI9N4

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                  While I'm appreciative of his work, I'm not sure why he's saying it would be so difficult to get it mainlined. You can literally copy it87.c and compat.h into drivers/hwmon and it builds along with the rest of the kernel. I guess he doesn't expect to just be accepted as one bulk commit.
                  I was actually wondering about some unsupported / unknown chip id with sensors-detect on my new amd ryzen 2700 asus x470-i mini itx build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNvj67PAEc did neither expect an out-of-tree driver like this to exist, guess I have to give it a try on that system another day!

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                    Cry-baby move?
                    Because people keep harassing him over it. As long as it is the version on Github with the newest patches and a user who actually sometimes responds, he's going to keep getting people bothering him.

Maybe he never wanted to be a maintainer of the thing and just forked it for his own purposes. By taking it down, people will find someone else to hassle.

Comment

Working...
                    X