2018 Brings A New Linux X.Org Display Driver Update For The ATI RAGE 128

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Brings A New Linux X.Org Display Driver Update For The ATI RAGE 128

Phoronix: 2018 Brings A New Linux X.Org Display Driver Update For The ATI RAGE 128

Last month I wrote about a new attempt at improving the ATI RAGE 128 X.Org driver... Yes, for the for the Rage graphics cards from the late 90's in the days of AGP and PCI where core/memory clock speeds were commonly in the double digits... If you are a hobbyist fond of these vintage graphics cards and are still running with these OpenGL 1.1~1.2 capable GPUs, there is a new X.Org driver update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder of this guy actually has any working hardware to test on

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      You can buy all parts for assembling a retro-PC (Ati RAGE included) if you have like 50$ of budget on Ebay.

Of course you won't find such hardware in physical stores, but in Teh Internets....

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        You can buy all parts for assembling a retro-PC (Ati RAGE included) if you have like 50$ of budget on Ebay.

Of course you won't find such hardware in physical stores, but in Teh Internets....
        this is true - not sure I would want to use a modern desktop on it though, that 16-32mb of memory might be a tad limiting these days!

Comment

I do... just the card, though.

Comment

That is good news, often one of these old cards is enough if you just want to fire up a purpose-bound-computer and don't want to be entirely headless. Just enough to boot, have an accelerated console and maybe a simple X (w. XFCE, enlightenment or the likes). Doesn't use much power, works in nearly every computer, doesn't become hot and is usually very affordable. The only culprit might be the set of interfaces to the outside if you lack VGA or A->D converters on your monitors.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Looks like it is still being produced:

Comment

this is true - not sure I would want to use a modern desktop on it though, that 16-32mb of memory might be a tad limiting these days!
                I have used a modern desktop on such a system...
                It was an iBook G3, in 2014, it had 256MB of RAM, a 40GB 4200RPM drive, a GPU with 32MB of VRAM, USB 1.1, 802.11B WiFi support.
                It did work, after 5 minutes, it would finally boot up to a Gnome 3 desktop on Debian 7.5, and 5 minutes later, you could actually do stuff. I took 2 minutes just for IceWeasle to load, and a further 1 minute to get a web-page loaded. Of course, the whole time, the resource monitor revealed, RAM was actually the bottleneck...
                With a less intensive desktop, Lubuntu 14.04, it was actually usable, just not for internet browsing, because it still took 2 minutes for Firefox to load, and it still took almost a minute for anything with Javascript to render.
                That system now belongs to someone else, who still uses it to this day as a machine to use around the house. It now has 640MB of RAM, but is still on 14.04, same 40GB HDD, same 802.11B.
                I suspect, that a 64GB SSD, would vastly increase the performance, because NOW loading anything up, it's actually the 4200RPM drive as the bottleneck.
                Last edited by mzs.112000; 20 July 2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

did I hear vintage ATi card support? Count me in! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxaR2dkUpLI

Comment

Rage128 was OEM'ed to a very large number of manufacturers for many years and after the desktop moved on to newer tech, it had a lengthy life as the VGA chip for server boards.

The Rage128 was also the video chip for the All-In-Wonder boards and I think contained some codec assist depending on the one used. I still see AIW boards being used to import old VHS cassettes to digital with Windows 98. When MSFT and ATI refused to port legacy AIW functions into Windows 2000/XP, many people just stayed on Windows 98 and let them run. When ATSC came along even more were retired.

Comment

Working...
                    X