Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Might Finally Switch To Liberation Fonts 2

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Might Finally Switch To Liberation Fonts 2

Back in 2012 was feature work to upgrade Fedora from using the Liberation Fonts to Liberation Fonts 2. That change at the time for Fedora 19 was then diverted due to the updated fonts causing some fuzzy/blurred rendering. That issue has been fixed now following an update to F18 at the time and with Fedora 29 they are looking at once again trying Liberation Fonts 2 by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But that is a downgrade. Liberation 1 is much better hinted, where the so-called second edition is Googles fork which has little to no hinting and requires a hidpi screen to look good.

Comment

This reminds me on one movie line, qoute:
      "Yeah, but we have a hard date on this software, and I'm sorry, but adding pretty fonts is not gonna change that."

I don't know about you guys, but im still on xorg bitmap fonts for any real terminal work. I just don't like the feel of TTF. For anything else, i don't care much.

Comment

Originally posted by msami View Post
        "Yeah, but we have a hard date on this software, and I'm sorry, but adding pretty fonts is not gonna change that."

I don't know about you guys, but im still on xorg bitmap fonts for any real terminal work. I just don't like the feel of TTF. For anything else, i don't care much.
        You should try Liberation (1) Mono with full hinting... It is the single best hinted font I have ever seen, always 100% sharp.

Buy Cousine (aka Liberation (2) Mono), only looks good with slight hinting, which is fuzzier unless you have a high res screen. I have started using Cousine with slight hinting where I have hi-dpi, but for good old 96dpi liberation mono with full hinting is still king.
        Last edited by carewolf; 24 July 2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Typo in the short description:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Fedora + Liberation Fonta 2

Comment

Originally posted by msami View Post

ewwww. Have you at least tried monospace TTF fonts? There are plenty like inconsolita designed specifically for terminal work.

Comment

I always change my fonts to Droid Sans system wide and Terminus for terminal usage. It's going to be pretty hard to change that habit.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You should try Liberation (1) Mono with full hinting... It is the single best hinted font I have ever seen, always 100% sharp.

Buy Cousine (aka Liberation (2) Mono), only looks good with slight hinting, which is fuzzier unless you have a high res screen. I have started using Cousine with slight hinting where I have hi-dpi, but for good old 96dpi liberation mono with full hinting is still king.
                IBM Plex Sans (esp. the Medium variant, but the others are fine as well) is also always sharp for me, even on a high res screen

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

IBM Plex Sans (esp. the Medium variant, but the others are fine as well) is also always sharp for me, even on a high res screen
                  Anything can look sharp and good on a high res screen. The problem is that it is a trade off on lower resolutions

Comment

On smaller resolution monitors I use Terminus or console fonts, at 2560x1440 I use Noto Mono, for me is better than Liberation Mono, Plex Mono, Fira Code...

Comment

Working...
                    X