No announcement yet.

The ASUS P8H61-M LX Is The Latest Sandy Bridge Era Motherboard With Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ASUS P8H61-M LX Is The Latest Sandy Bridge Era Motherboard With Coreboot

Phoronix: The ASUS P8H61-M LX Is The Latest Sandy Bridge Era Motherboard With Coreboot

If by chance you happen to have an ASUS P8H61-M LX motherboard from the Sandy/Ivy Bridge days or are able to locate one of the boards through used/refurbished channels, this motherboard can now be freed down to the BIOS with Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Heh do they take requests / suggestions? How about a P5N7A-VM? :P

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
      Maybe if you donate the hardware. They probably won't port it to something that they don't have. Of course you could do it yourself.

This was an interesting read: https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/50924.html
      I started this process knowing almost nothing about Coreboot, but thanks to the help of people on IRC I was able to get things working in about two days of work[4] and now have firmware that's about as custom as my laptop.

Comment

From what I saw (I'm subscribed to the mailing list) they don't. Most if not all devices added come from people adding support for their own stuff.

They will help you doing so, but you need to be able to do the leg work yourself.

Comment

I'd still not use it cause suspend and fan control are important issues. Being quiet for me is more important than being a fast PC.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            I'd still not use it cause suspend and fan control are important issues. Being quiet for me is more important than being a fast PC.
            It depends on what is meant by "no automatic fan control." If it's just the BIOS fan control (what Asus calls Q-Fan) that doesn't work, but the fan header still supports control through PWM, then one can probably use pwmconfig/fancontrol to control the fan and set up a temperature-based cooling algorithm.

Comment

Theres the issue: i would like to add coreboot to my board, but it would mean dissasembling my main pc, so you can fix a broken bios that certainly will happen a couple times before its done.
              that means a construction yard for a couple days with small kids running around.
              too risky, too much trouble. Might only happen when i got a new system at which point i have little interest in doing it for the old system.

Comment

I have the Asus P8P67LE V1 (recalled edition) which nobody is supposed to have. Almost bricked it once by Asus misleading recommendation to firmware upgrade to a V3 bios. Thankfully i was able to save it in linux with a tool that recognized the firmware writing chip and wrote back the original V1 i had backed up.

Comment

This board has a Nvidia chipset. AFAIK those are largely unsupported, since there is little documentation on them. Regarding porting requests, most people would ask for a payment to do so (which makes sense considering it takes some time to port a board and make sure it works well). I would at least ask the requester to provide me the hardware to port. The other option is to go the DIY route, then send a patch for review. If you need help, you can contact knowledgeable people via IRC as well as the mailing list.

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                  I have the Asus P8P67LE V1 (recalled edition) which nobody is supposed to have. Almost bricked it once by Asus misleading recommendation to firmware upgrade to a V3 bios. Thankfully i was able to save it in linux with a tool that recognized the firmware writing chip and wrote back the original V1 i had backed up.
                  You could try porting this board to coreboot, as it is rather easy to port. Just make sure to backup your current vendor BIOS. Was it recalled because of the SATAII port issues?

Comment

Working...
                  X