Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon Powered By Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Now Available For Testing

Phoronix: KDE Neon Powered By Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Now Available For Testing

Fans of KDE Neon relying upon this OS/package-set for experiencing the latest and greatest KDE innovations can now enjoy it paired with an Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic Beaver" base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if they fix this before release, or ship it with this bug as it's non-issue.

Comment

I just spun it up and tried my new app based on pyqt5 on it..
      Didn't work because of link errors with qtcore.so...
      wtf?

If KDE can't even get Qt for python working out of the box then... ?

Comment

Pretty cool release, I just installed the non LTS user edition and HDMI audio for AMD works out of the box

Comment

Did Neon enable Wayland by default already or did they delay this?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
            If KDE can't even get Qt for python working out of the box then... ?
            I didn't get Qt for python working anywhere. I tried on Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Windows and a number of others. There's an inherent problem with Qt and python.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              Did Neon enable Wayland by default already or did they delay this?
              I can currently only speak for the 16.04 based Neon. They did not enable it by default, but it is possible to select it on login. And seeing their careful approach with the upgrade to 18.04, I would assume it's also not a default selection on Bionic, as there are still "a few edges and corners" with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

I didn't get Qt for python working anywhere. I tried on Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Windows and a number of others. There's an inherent problem with Qt and python.
                For me it works perfectly on all of the platforms you mention.
                Also works on OpenSuse, Fedora, PureOS and Mac OS.

Strange that KDE Neon would have problems with Qt since it is build upon that framework.
                Last edited by pracedru; 09 August 2018, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

I can currently only speak for the 16.04 based Neon. They did not enable it by default, but it is possible to select it on login. And seeing their careful approach with the upgrade to 18.04, I would assume it's also not a default selection on Bionic, as there are still "a few edges and corners" with Wayland.
                  But the few edges would be addressed probably only if they really switch to Wayland by default. I would welcome if they could at least clearly address these issues that are blockers from their point of view, because with the mentality "there are still issues" I don't see how they will make some progress with Wayland. And I believe we need one real KDE distribution to showcase the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

For me it works perfectly on all of the platforms you mention.
                    Also works on OpenSuse, Fedora, PureOS and Mac OS.

Strange that KDE Neon would have problems with Qt since it is build upon that framework.
                    You missed the point: KDE has no problems with Qt -> Qt has problems with python

Comment

Working...
                    X