Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Pro WX 8200 Launches As "Best Workstation Graphics Performance Under $1,000"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Pro WX 8200 Launches As "Best Workstation Graphics Performance Under $1,000"

Phoronix: Radeon Pro WX 8200 Launches As "Best Workstation Graphics Performance Under $1,000"

It's SIGGRAPH week and AMD has used this annual graphics conference to announce the Radeon Pro WX 8200, which they are saying is able to offer the best workstation graphics card performance in the sub-$1,000 USD category...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does the WX 8200 support MxGPU in VMware? There was an updated (windows) driver some days ago with MxGPU changes for the WX series... It's a bit confusing which cards exactly support what.

The VMware deployment guide for MxGPU states only FirePro S 7150 and 7150x2 but the Radeon Instinct is also supported but isn't mentioned anywhere. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
      Does the WX 8200 support MxGPU in VMware? There was an updated (windows) driver some days ago with MxGPU changes for the WX series... It's a bit confusing which cards exactly support what.

The VMware deployment guide for MxGPU states only FirePro S 7150 and 7150x2 but the Radeon Instinct is also supported but isn't mentioned anywhere. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. :-)
      bridgman might know or be able to look into it. Unfortunately I have no idea as I haven't even had any of the Pro hardware for testing now since pre-GCN.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am under the impression that only those cards without any display outputs support MxGPU.. because those are supposed to be placed in servers and allow the users to use them remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
          Seeing how it seems to be a cut down Vega FE/Radeon Pro WX 9100 cut down to about Vega 56 specs (exact same number of stream processors and amount of memory, but higher clocks) I don't see any reason why the it shouldn't support everything it's "big brother" does.

Also, the fact that they halved the amount of memory from 16GB to 8GB should be worth pointing out, no?

Comment

AFAIK Vega FE doesn't support SR-IOV so it doesn't support MxGPU either. So I'm still confused. Does its bigger brother, the WX 9100, support MxGPU that it can be used in a ESXi-Server with multiple VMs?

Comment

These Pro models work with the opensource driver?

Comment

Micheal; can you get a test subject from AMD for testing under Linux? I know AMD is fickle but it seems like they would want their claims supported by respected web sites if those claims are at all valid.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Micheal; can you get a test subject from AMD for testing under Linux? I know AMD is fickle but it seems like they would want their claims supported by respected web sites if those claims are at all valid.
                  Unfortunately I haven't received any AMD Pro GPU hardware since pre-GCN days... Back during the Fire Pro / FireGL days. I don't even know anyone/who is in charge of media/reviews for the pro cards these days since back then I think is when they laid off everyone in that department. So probably unlikely I am getting any WX 8200 review sample as I assume someone from AMD would have contacted me by now if they were interested.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    These Pro models work with the opensource driver?
                    Yes, they do.

Comment

Working...
                    X