Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Threadripper 2990WX Cooling Performance - Testing Five Heatsinks & Two Water Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Threadripper 2990WX Cooling Performance - Testing Five Heatsinks & Two Water Coolers

Phoronix: AMD Threadripper 2990WX Cooling Performance - Testing Five Heatsinks & Two Water Coolers

The 32-core / 64-thread AMD Threadripper 2990WX carries a 250 Watt TDP rating, thus the cooling performance is quite important especially if you don't want to hit any thermal throttling with this $1799 USD processor. Fortunately, the 2990WX doesn't require water cooling but actually can work quite well with high-end air heatsinks too. For adding some perspective on the cooling requirements of the Threadripper 2990WX, here are benchmarks of five heatsinks and two all-in-one water cooling systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems if you don't intend to OC, you can go with a relatively cheap heatsink and this'll perform just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Seems if you don't intend to OC, you can go with a relatively cheap heatsink and this'll perform just fine.
      Yeah aside from 2U sized coolers
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nice work testing those coolers. The Enermax Liqtech TR4 used to be the best performing AIO watercooling during Threadripper 1000 times, so it is not surprising to see it on top again.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The Cooler Master Threadripper heatsink
        I think the heatsink is officially called "Wraithripper".

Comment

How is noise with those cooling solutions? Notably the various Noctuas and the Enermax closed loop? Even a subjective appreciation would be nice to have

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            How is noise with those cooling solutions? Notably the various Noctuas and the Enermax closed loop? Even a subjective appreciation would be nice to have
            No complaints over noise. Noctua coolers tend to be quiet even with the dual 80/120mm fans. I use Noctua heatsinks on some of my Threadripper/EPYC and Xeon systems and have always been fairly quiet. The Enermax is a bit noisier but still not all that bad but then again I am used to computer noise all day.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              NH-U14S TR4-SP3 with TR gen 1 and a slight overclock inside Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl (fans replaced for Noctuas)... needs a bit of software tweaking and the result is below ambient "city behind the window" noise till the late evening.

Comment

I was researching for a EPYC or Threadripper "server" (as in made of parts)solution and for the 2U form factor therte is little info out there as far as cooling goes.
                Would the A26 be able to cool a Threadripper (12 or 16 core, 180W) under lighter load (virtual machines that don't max out CPUs), maybe with Precision Boost off?
                Also, how is the airflow using the A26 on TR as EPYC boards have the CPU socket at 90 degrees compared to Threadripper?

Comment

Working...
                X