Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK Merges Direct3D 10 API Support

Phoronix: DXVK Merges Direct3D 10 API Support

Separate from the "DXUP" initiative, the popular DXVK project for accelerating Direct3D 11 atop Vulkan now has support itself for Direct3D 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Uh, this is such a fantastic news. Just yesterday I struggled with DXUP on top of DXVK, but I used it for the first time. I only got a black screen, but this could have been a xorg bug with Vulkan apps. Can't wait until DXVK 0.70 will be released. The progress of this project is just amazing!

Comment

If you can't wait for 0.70 to come out, and don't want the hassle of the environment needed to build dxvk there is a neat docker image that will do it for you in a container, dxvk-docker on github.

Comment

Why is this project so tightly coupled with Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
          DXVK isn't coupled with WINE. It's independent of WINE and is a set of two Windows DLLs, which map DirectX11 calls onto Vulkan.

DXVK is only being associated with WINE because many WINE users use DXVK to run their DirectX11 games under Linux.

WINE itself implements DirectX11, but does it on top of OpenGL. WINE also implements Vulkan and because Vulkan is a more modern API than OpenGL is it possible for DXVK to be used with WINE where it maps DirectX11 onto Vulkan, thereby avoids WINE's DirectX11/OpenGL implementation, and allows games to perform better.

WINE developers are working on implementing DirectX12 and now use Vulkan instead of OpenGL for it. It's however still work in progress. DXVK fills the gap in the meantime.
          Last edited by sdack; 13 August 2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
            It's not! You can also use it under Windows e.g.

Comment

What about Direct3D 9 and 12 support?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                One thing at a time. I'm guessing DXVK might get D3D9 support at some point but not now. It probably won't support DirectX12 but Wine has a project for supporting DirectX12 over Vulkan.

BTW, I would be funny if someone made an implementation of X11 and called it DirectX11.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  What about Direct3D 8 and 13? The children! Someone think of the children!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    What about Direct3D 8 and 13? The children! Someone think of the children!
                    We should definately support Direct3D 13 before Microsoft. That would be something.

Comment

Working...
                    X