New Sound Hardware Support & Other Improvements Playing In Linux 4.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sound Hardware Support & Other Improvements Playing In Linux 4.19

Phoronix: New Sound Hardware Support & Other Improvements Playing In Linux 4.19

SUSE's Takashi Iwai sent in the pull request this morning of the sound subsystem updates for the Linux 4.19 kernel and it includes a lot of new hardware support and other improvements for Linux's audio capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably should be improved the 5.1 support so to make better the spread of sound through the several speakers.

Comment

Creative AE-5 is also being worked on as will be the ZxR.

Comment

Since VGA_Switcheroo is mentioned in the article:
        Could anybody please tell me why it doesn't show up in /dev with normal desktop hardware (Intel IGP active + display connected to dGPU)? According to its info page, it should also work without muxer via PCIe.

Background is I'd like to run the whole Xserver on the IGP and output the frames via the dGPU.

Comment

Still no MIDI for SB X-FI.

Nor jack insertion recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Probably should be improved the 5.1 support so to make better the spread of sound through the several speakers.
            What does this even mean? You know Pulseaudio can decode and encode 5.1, extract LFE from 2.0 to 2.1/5.1, and so forth. What's missing?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Since VGA_Switcheroo is mentioned in the article:
              Could anybody please tell me why it doesn't show up in /dev with normal desktop hardware (Intel IGP active + display connected to dGPU)? According to its info page, it should also work without muxer via PCIe.

Background is I'd like to run the whole Xserver on the IGP and output the frames via the dGPU.
              Are you using one of these Kaby Lake G laptops? Could you describe linux user experience in general?

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                Still no MIDI for SB X-FI.

Nor jack insertion recognition.
                Why people still have Creative garbage around...

Comment

What puzzles me is why there are new sound chips coming each year? I've had 5.1 card for years now. How is 2019 HD audio better than 2017 HD audio?

Comment

Maybe Phoronix could test some sound chips and sound cards?

Comment

Working...
                    X