Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lot Of Spectre Changes Land In The Linux 4.19 Git Tree, Possible Performance Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lot Of Spectre Changes Land In The Linux 4.19 Git Tree, Possible Performance Impact

Phoronix: A Lot Of Spectre Changes Land In The Linux 4.19 Git Tree, Possible Performance Impact

"The Speck [Spectre slang, not to be confused with the controversial NSA algo] brigade sadly provides yet another large set of patches destroying the perfomance which we carefully built and preserved," began the latest x86/pti pull request by kernel maintainer Thomas Gleixner...

Security patches with a performance impact are way too many these days. We should drop all security and work on putting criminals using security holes into prison instead. You don't put auto-human-stabbing-protection onto knives either, don't you? You punish the killers, not people trying to cut some meat in the kitchen.

Comment

i'd like to see prebuilt kernels which goes for performance instead of security.
      eg i dont need protection against malicios vm's or malicious users.

but i need protection against holes which can be used from remote or through js

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Security patches with a performance impact are way too many these days. We should drop all security and work on putting criminals using security holes into prison instead.
        Pffffhahahahaha, yeah right. Let's send Torvalds around with a stick to beat the bad hackers, that's going to work well.

Security exists because it's various orders of magnitude cheaper than actually catching every wrongdoer.

You don't put auto-human-stabbing-protection onto knives either, don't you? You punish the killers, not people trying to cut some meat in the kitchen.
        This is a hilariously bad analogy, you don't put protection on weapons but on targets. A correct analogy is people putting on anti-stab vests to do work in places where they are likely to get assaulted, or just using decently resistent doors and windows to keep out people that only have a knive.

And also, what is more important:
        -staying alive
        -be sure that whoever kills me will be punished

I mean... really? What are you, Trump's speeches ghost writer?

Or.... are you one of the baddies?

Comment

Hey Intel, send out firmware updates for Lynnfield Xeons, finally!

Update der "Microcode Revision Guidance"

Aktuell version:
          [ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x7, date = 2013-08-20
          [ 4.279676] microcode: sig=0x106e5, pf=0x2, revision=0x7
          [ 4.279971] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

Comment

After all the Spectre/Meltdown patches, we are going to be left with single core (non-SMT) cacheless processors... Like back in the 90's...

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
              Hey Intel, send out firmware updates for Lynnfield Xeons, finally!

Update der "Microcode Revision Guidance"

Aktuell version:
              [ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x7, date = 2013-08-20
              [ 4.279676] microcode: sig=0x106e5, pf=0x2, revision=0x7
              [ 4.279971] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.
              Now, they did it:

[ 0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0xa, date = 2018-05-08
              [ 3.199776] microcode: sig=0x106e5, pf=0x2, revision=0xa
              [ 3.200097] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

Thank you, Intel!

Comment

Working...
              X