Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-v4l X.Org Driver Sees First New Release In A Decade

Phoronix: xf86-video-v4l X.Org Driver Sees First New Release In A Decade

The xf86-video-v4l v0.3.0 driver was announced today as the first new release for this DDX driver in ten years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So which graphics drivers and graphics cards can use this X.Org module?

I'm pretty sure I've used Xv in the past; does that mean I will have been using this X.Org module?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      So which graphics drivers and graphics cards can use this X.Org module?

I'm pretty sure I've used Xv in the past; does that mean I will have been using this X.Org module?
      xv is actually dead, since none of the current devices support xv. Xv was a hardware video overlay that was PC specific, but as cards became smarter, they removed the hardware video overlay.
      Hardware video overlay is available on most Arm SoC's, but the way that works is a bit incompatible with the PC world.

But as a matter of fact: I just thought up of a real use case: Xorg on v4l2, zero copy to a v4l m2m encoder, straight into a packetizer, and stream it. Now if we can gles into the v4l2 buffer...
      Edit: oh wait... it is for xv devices... oops.

Edit2: the 2011 article is clear: it delivers an XV driver for V4L2 hardware. This I can understand. No, I can't use it :-(.
      Maybe for the PI or amlogic, as they clearly have multi plane mixing, for mixing graphics and video.
      Last edited by Ardje; 14 August 2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X