Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Begins Teasing Their Discrete Graphics Card

Phoronix: Intel Begins Teasing Their Discrete Graphics Card

Don't expect the Intel discrete gamer graphics card to come until 2020, but with the SIGGRAPH graphics conference happening this week in Vancouver, they have begun teasing their first PCI Express graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope Intel will bring out a proper, open source, alternative to CUDA. This what's really needed in the GPU space. Not just another gaming accelerator. I've given up on AMD and OpenCL.

Only Intel can put the kind of resources together that are necessary to take on CUDA, and kickstart a proper open source GPU ecosystem.

I don't understand why the AVX instruction set can't be extended to encompass the GPU. Why not AVX-65536 via GPU.... and let AMD in on the game too.
    Last edited by vegabook; 15 August 2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

If it's going to support GVT, then I'm sold

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
        I hope Intel will bring out a proper, open source, alternative to CUDA. This what's really needed in the GPU space. Not just another gaming accelerator. I've given up on AMD and OpenCL.

Only Intel can put the kind of resources together that are necessary to take on CUDA, and kickstart a proper open source GPU ecosystem.

I don't understand why the AVX instruction set can't be extended to encompass the GPU. Why not AVX-65536 via GPU.... and let AMD in on the game too.
        What? Intel already supports OpenCL, there is no reason for YET-ANOTHER-COMPUTE-API.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

What? Intel already supports OpenCL, there is no reason for YET-ANOTHER-COMPUTE-API.
          Exactly, both AMD and Intel support SyCL just fine. OpenCL has never been easier.

Comment

Another vote to avoid yet another API.

Obligatory: https://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

The shroud of the cooler looks very square and the pcb doesn't seem too large, my guess is it uses some form of HBM and is geared towards compute...

The Xeon Phi products (as PCIe accelerators) where always interesting, it would be nice if offloading to this new GPU would be as easy as it was to offload to a Xeon Phi in MKL!

Anyway, competition is good for consumers.

Comment

So it will be faster than i740, or Larrabe, but seriously, will it blend? ;-)

Comment

I will say it again , khronos should make rasterization optional in vulkan and make it their compute api

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
                    The shroud of the cooler looks very square and the pcb doesn't seem too large,
                    That's not the actual finished product. In fact, it doesn't even look like a PCI-E connector.

Comment

Working...
                    X