Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.19 Goes Ahead And Makes Lazy TLB Mode Lazier For Small Performance Benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Goes Ahead And Makes Lazy TLB Mode Lazier For Small Performance Benefit

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Goes Ahead And Makes Lazy TLB Mode Lazier For Small Performance Benefit

Last month I wrote about lazy TLB mode improvements on the way to the mainline kernel and this week the changes were indeed merged for the in-development Linux 4.19 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1% general efficiency gain is very notable.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      1% general efficiency gain is very notable.
      Even if it wasn't, every bit counts, because they add up. When you profile and can't find a bottleneck (especially when idle), it's time to optimize every little bit here and there.

Comment

what is TLB used for ? i have it disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          what is TLB used for ? i have it disabled.
          TLB = Translation Lookaside Buffer

It's basically a hardware cache for storing virtual memory mappings. So when an app requests a particular memory address, the kernel translates that virtual address to a physical address in the actual RAM. The TLB is just a cache for that, so it's use is increasing performance.

Comment

Working...
          X