Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Had A Very Exciting First Week Of New Features

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Had A Very Exciting First Week Of New Features

The Linux 4.19 kernel merge window opened one week ago and there's been a lot of new features and improvements to be merged during this front-half of the merge period. If you are behind on your Phoronix reading, here's a look at the highlights for week one...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not so sure STACKLEAK made it into Linus' tree.

Seems like Linus went all crazy about some more BUG_ON()s.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
      I'm not so sure STACKLEAK made it into Linus' tree.

Seems like Linus went all crazy about some more BUG_ON()s.
      Yeah - I think there is some refactoring to do to get rid of the BUG before Linus will pull it

I just had a quick look at the email subjects and could not see any more gcc-plugins pulls for stack leak - so - to my untrained eye - it does not appear to be pulled yet
      Last edited by boxie; 20 August 2018, 01:01 AM.

Comment

>I simply will not take "hardening" that kills the machine. That's a hard requirement. No excuses, and absolutely zero exceptions.

I want to fight Linus on this seeing how stack corruptions can originate from faulty hardware and spread to other processes and destroy data... But the other guys don't get Monty Python references so I'm pretty something is seriously wrong with them and I should side with him.

Comment

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/15/404
          Originally posted by Linus Torvalds
          Why do you even *test* that thing? Why don't you just allocate stack and clear it. Dammit, the whole f*cking point of this patch-set is to clear the stack used. It is *not* supposed to do anything else. If the process runs out of stack, that's caught by the vmalloc'ed stack. And if you don't have vmalloc'ed stack, then clearly you don't care. I refuse to take this kind of code that does stupid things, and then *because* it does those initial stupid things it does even more stupid things to correct for it. I hated the thing to begin with, told people that there are better approaches that don't have the downsides, got ignored, and then I'm pushed crap. No.
          His attitude is why the Linux Kernel is better than Windows or anything Google puts out. (no sarcasm)
          Last edited by Weasel; 20 August 2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

so F2Fs performance fix didnt make it to new kernel..
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/15/404His attitude is why the Linux Kernel is better than Windows or anything Google puts out. (no sarcasm)
              *skill

Just shouting at people does not make someone a good project leader. If you actually have a point then it's ok.

Comment

Working...
              X