Linus Torvalds On Linux 4.19: "This Merge Window Has Been Horrible"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds On Linux 4.19: "This Merge Window Has Been Horrible"

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds On Linux 4.19: "This Merge Window Has Been Horrible"

While Linux 4.19 is slated to have a lot of new features as we have been covering now the past week and a half, Linus Torvalds is upset with these big pull requests and some of them being far from perfect -- to the extent of being rejected...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

XArray is not a replacement for radix tree. XArray is a new API to access the radix tree data structure in a much more controlled and efficient manner. It is a new "metaphor describing its [radix tree] operation" - https://lwn.net/Articles/745073/

Comment

I need to agree with Linus, including as dependency some currently rejected features is very non-ethical.

Every fork should be based on Linus tree, and not some custom one with non-merged features.

It doesn't matter how good or bad is this feature, including non-merged features of libnvdimm is very unprofessional.

Comment

Gotta love Linus style. I wonder if he was allowed to talk like that at Transmeta?

Comment

I imagine Linus having a big red button on his desk with "Ship it!" written on it.

Comment

Linus is seldom wrong, or you'd hear about it more often. The only thing debatable is his approach, which, I find very endearing. It wouldn't work anywhere else or with anyone else (so don't go Linus on your co-workers).

But because of how he acts from the top of the kernel chain, it wouldn't make sense for anyone below him (i.e., everyone) to treat anyone else like that, or they'd be subject to the same type of harsh criticism and beratement back. It's his way of leading, and I think it works tremendously well. (if you're not the one being berated, =)

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
              Linus is seldom wrong, or you'd hear about it more often. The only thing debatable is his approach, which, I find very endearing. It wouldn't work anywhere else or with anyone else (so don't go Linus on your co-workers).

But because of how he acts from the top of the kernel chain, it wouldn't make sense for anyone below him (i.e., everyone) to treat anyone else like that, or they'd be subject to the same type of harsh criticism and beratement back. It's his way of leading, and I think it works tremendously well. (if you're not the one being berated, =)
              With how full people can of themselves these days, having someone yell at how bad your work is can be a sobering experience. If things aren't good, they aren't good.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

With how full people can of themselves these days, having someone yell at how bad your work is can be a sobering experience. If things aren't good, they aren't good.
                I could not agree more. These days people get so easily offended by absolutely nothing and humanity as a whole really needs to stop putting more meaning into words than what they actually mean.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

I could not agree more. These days people get so easily offended by absolutely nothing and humanity as a whole really needs to stop putting more meaning into words than what they actually mean.
                  In my country, and in Linus-s country, it is much more as you wish it to be. Well, most of the time.
                  From what i see it is mostly a USA thing. I do see it spreading in OSS, though.
                  It's like words are no longer just a means to express thoughts and feelings.

Comment

lunix is gonna go to shit for sure whenever linus kicks off

Comment

Working...
                    X