Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threadripper 2, Spectre, Steam Play / Proton & Linux 4.19 Made August Super Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threadripper 2, Spectre, Steam Play / Proton & Linux 4.19 Made August Super Exciting

Phoronix: Threadripper 2, Spectre, Steam Play / Proton & Linux 4.19 Made August Super Exciting

August 2018 was the busiest month in the open-source/Linux space and hardware in many months... So busy in fact your's truly wrote a combined total of 352 original articles over the course of August. Here's a look back at what made this month so exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, if Proton actually allowed Windows games to be transparently played on Linux that would of course be awesome.

But after researching it for a few days it doesn't appear it will ever do that. It's not even clear that that's its purpose. So far it only supports a handful of games that already work quite well under Wine, and evidently any supported games in the future will demand that each game's installation be individually tweaked to work. Of course this would still be great if Valve planned on going back and doing it for thousands of games, but as I said that does not appear to be their intention.

It also seems that if they really had anything new to speak of they would have come out with at least a few games that don't work on Wine already, like Elite Dangerous or others with complex and difficult to solve issues.

But this just seems like "Hey, let's throw a copy of Wine in with Steam and make a few games work with it."

I do hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
    X