Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Reasons To Consider The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series On Linux

Phoronix: 10 Reasons To Consider The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series On Linux

As promised, following my 10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series, here are ten reasons on the opposite side for considering these new Turing graphics cards for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Well, what side of the fence are you on for the GeForce RTX 20 under Linux?
    Neither. I am on the AMD side.

Comment

Reason #1, Toms Hardware said "Just buy it". That's good enough for me. LOLOLOLOLOL111!!!

Comment

NVIDIA does make open-source contributions in some areas. While it's a pity they don't have a fully open-source and working driver, they do make some open-source contributions where it makes sense from a business standpoint and where there is sufficient customer demand -- such as the decent Nouveau support on the Tegra front.
        Not a valid reason to buy a RTX20. Paid ads?

Been 3 years since Courbot help to Nouveau, and Nvidia still not able to publish a valid temperature module to properly maximize the card performance. Why it would be better now?

Comment

Did you sign an nv nda that you can't talk about now? I think this article says, probably ... [ooh hey I'm wrong! I like being wrong in this instance!]
          Last edited by xorbe; 06 September 2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
            Did you sign an nv nda that you can't talk about now? I think this article says, probably ...
            If so, then Phoronix just broke their disclosure clause...

However, we are not compensated to provide favorable opinions on products nor do we accept paid endorsements

Comment

I can't find any good reason to buy Nvidia.
              I like my freedom, privacy and security, hence, the open source drivers, hence no Nvidia.
              For that matter, last month I bought a laptop with Intel + AMD GPUs and a desktop graphics card with AMD GPU.
              As long as Nvidia desn't respect me as a customer, there could be 1000 reasons to consider them and I will still not give a fuck about their products.
              They're dead to me.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                Did you sign an nv nda that you can't talk about now? I think this article says, probably ...
                Nope, as it stands now, NVIDIA hasn't even offered to send out Turing samples - unlike with previous generations.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Be honest Michael, how much did Nvidia pay you?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    Be honest Michael, how much did Nvidia pay you?
                    Are you joking? Did you even read the previous article? 10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

If anything, I respect Michael for attempting to offer a counter to the previous article.

Comment

Working...
                    X