Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nano 3.0 Text Editor Released - Reads Files 70% Faster, ~2x Faster ASCII Text Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano 3.0 Text Editor Released - Reads Files 70% Faster, ~2x Faster ASCII Text Handling

Phoronix: Nano 3.0 Text Editor Released - Reads Files 70% Faster, ~2x Faster ASCII Text Handling

For fans of the Nano text editor, version 3.0 was released today with some significant performance improvements among other enhancements for this common Linux command-line program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Never ever have I thought about nano as being slow and needing performance optimizations, but cool anyways

Comment

Nano and not org.gnu.Nano - for the Gnome folks. It also doesn't support systemd and flatpaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Nano and not org.gnu.Nano - for the Gnome folks. It also doesn't support systemd and flatpaks.
        Haha, so funny. But that's just because systemd folks don't believe in text editing, they think "screw text, make it binary".....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Haha, so funny. But that's just because systemd folks don't believe in text editing, they think "screw text, make it binary".....
          Huh? All of systemd's configuration can be changed on a text-basis, and I would argue most of their implementations even easier than other solutions (e.g. systemd-networkd, systemd-boot). I guess you're referring to the log files which, by default and if not enabling a classic syslog, are binary - though I can't really see a situation where you'd want to edit log files if not for malicious purposes. Since we're talking about the release of a text editor and not viewer…

Comment

For fans of the Nano text editor...
            I am!

I find myself using it a fair bit. It's super practical and easy for small text editing tasks.

My only complaint about it is the default wrapping policy. To be safe I am forced to always launch it with the "-w" switch just to make sure hard line wrapping is disabled so my config files aren't accidentally damaged. I usually "set nowrap" in the .nanorc file, but when I'm working on multiple systems I don't want the risk of accidentally using nano on a system where "set nowrap" is not configured. Hence I just safely type "nano -w <FILE>" to be sure.

I think the default should be: soft wrapping enabled and hard wrapping disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

I am!

I find myself using it a fair bit. It's super practical and easy for small text editing tasks.

My only complaint about it is the default wrapping policy. To be safe I am forced to always launch it with the "-w" switch just to make sure hard line wrapping is disabled so my config files aren't accidentally damaged. I usually "set nowrap" in the .nanorc file, but when I'm working on multiple systems I don't want the risk of accidentally using nano on a system where "set nowrap" is not configured. Hence I just safely type "nano -w <FILE>" to be sure.

I think the default should be: soft wrapping enabled and hard wrapping disabled.
              Same here: I'm also a big fan, but I agree that set nowrap should be enabled by default.

Comment

To my knowledge, this depends on the distro. For example, I know Debian enables wrapping by default, but Arch doesn't.

Comment

I am!

Thanks for the reminder, I've also always been annoyed by that, but never enough to look into it

I never thought I'd be about nano, but I am pretty excited about the speed boost, loading files of size of a few dozens of Mbs takes quite a few seconds, a speed boost is very welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    To my knowledge, this depends on the distro. For example, I know Debian enables wrapping by default, but Arch doesn't.
                    Yeah, some distros turn off hard wraping by default.

I normally work very automatically and intuitively in the console. I can't rely on my automatic system (my subconscious) to remember to use the '-w' switch on only the systems / distros / user accounts that actually need it. So I've just trained my muscle memory to always type 'nano -w' so that I'm always sure. It's a shame, because it would be much nicer to be able to just type 'nano'.

Comment

Working...
                    X