No announcement yet.

Some Linux Gamers Using Wine/DXVK To Play Blizzard's Overwatch Banned - Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Linux Gamers Using Wine/DXVK To Play Blizzard's Overwatch Banned - Updated

Phoronix: Some Linux Gamers Using Wine/DXVK To Play Blizzard's Overwatch Reportedly Banned

Multiple individuals are reporting that they have been just recently banned by Blizzard for playing their games -- seemingly Overwatch is the main title -- when using Wine with the DXVK D3D11-over-Vulkan translation layer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's two people, not exactly much evidence.

For all we know they were hacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      I call this war. sure they claim it is no war going on but in fact they doing war on linux people like this for like 25 years. if they would not do war like this all their closed source market share in any topic of business would be done long time ago. but with war like this they manage to make linux not attractive to people because most of the people have not the mentally strongness to join this war. most people are weak in mind and because of this they buy playstation4 or by a windows PC for gaming they just do anything to not be hurt in this war.

and opensource people who fight end up suicided in the ocean: https://news.sky.com/story/missing-w...orway-11495850
      wtf are you talking about.

I've run Overwatch on DXVK quite a few times, no ban.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
        It's two people, not exactly much evidence.

For all we know they were hacking.
        Two people writing in a reddit thread out of how many playing on Linux banned in the same time frame?

AFAIU the guy opening the reddit thread is also the one maintaining Lutris helper scripts. Why should he be hacking, compromise his own work? He opened that thread to warn people about bans happening with a specific configuration. Why don't we just wait and see what Blizzard has to say instead of going for premature judgement?

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I've run Overwatch on DXVK quite a few times, no ban.
        So did the reporter, allegedly for a year. Something seems to have changed and he suspects the DXVK feature for async shader compilation to cause the issue.

I don't get the mistrust here.
        Last edited by juno; 13 September 2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Some wine builds may have debug or have user enabled debug... blizzard see this debug as a way to try to control the game execution and even try to change the game... but without blizzard help, no one knows... that is why blizzard should support linux, native game or at least wine/proton bottled.
          I stopped playing blizzard games years ago, due the lack of linux support but those that still play, should pressure blizzard, specially now that steam lunched proton

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

Two people writing in a reddit thread out of how many playing on Linux banned in the same time frame?

AFAIU the guy opening the reddit thread is also the one maintaining Lutris helper scripts. Why should he be hacking, compromise his own work? He opened that thread to warn people about bans happening with a specific configuration. Why don't we just wait and see what Blizzard has to say instead of going for premature judgement?
            Exactly. Two people, that's it. If it was really a big thing, we would have seen more people come out by now.

Comment

Yeah, exactly. More people playing Overwatch in this exact time frame (recent changes?) on Linux with WINE/DXVK. I mean how many people even are there playing this game on WINE anyway?

Let's just wait and see.

Comment

I remember that years ago, World of Warcraft (Blizzard) players reported that they got banned because the combination of Wine and a programmable keyboard was mistaken for a bot by the anti-cheat. I never got banned myself but only used Wine, not a programmable keyboard. This seems to be just a new occurrence of the same kind of issue.

Comment

I disagree with banning players only because they are using compatibility layers, but isn't it possible to turn DXVK into a "driver" rather than a library replacement? This way games made by companies that don't want to play fair can work properly on Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                    I remember that years ago, World of Warcraft (Blizzard) players reported that they got banned because the combination of Wine and a programmable keyboard was mistaken for a bot by the anti-cheat. I never got banned myself but only used Wine, not a programmable keyboard. This seems to be just a new occurrence of the same kind of issue.
                    Yes, because they cheated, read some games disclaimers. I was once banned from a game because my mouse can record a down move and compensate 90% for recoil. A friend banned because he stitched a red dot in the center of his screen to compensate for the close range of the sniper. It happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X