PostgreSQL 11 Won't Ship With Its Faster JIT Support Enabled By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 11 Won't Ship With Its Faster JIT Support Enabled By Default

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 11 Won't Ship With Its Faster JIT Support Enabled By Default

One of the coolest innovations landing this year in PostgreSQL was LLVM-based JIT support to speed up database queries. But it's not going to be enabled by default in the upcoming PostgreSQL 11 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Based on what they said in the mailing list I think this is a very good decision. The JIT can be enabled per-query as needed and used on queries where it's proven to be useful while not risking major slowdowns or bugs on production environments "just because".

I'm sure it'll be mature enough by v12

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
      Based on what they said in the mailing list I think this is a very good decision. The JIT can be enabled per-query as needed and used on queries where it's proven to be useful while not risking major slowdowns or bugs on production environments "just because".
      Yep... best not to follow Oracle's example, where the new adaptive-plan features in 12c were enabled by default before they were ready, crippling performance for a significant proportion of their customers.

Comment

Working...
      X