Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Has Grown By 225k Lines of Code So Far This Year From 3.3k Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Has Grown By 225k Lines of Code So Far This Year From 3.3k Developers

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Has Grown By 225k Lines of Code So Far This Year From 3.3k Developers

After writing yesterday about kernel contributions of AMD vs. NVIDIA vs. Intel, I kicked off the hours-long process of gitstats analyzing the Linux kernel Git repository for some fresh numbers on the current kernel development trends...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That be some really interesting future prediction in that git files graph... out to 2042!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      That be some really interesting future prediction in that git files graph... out to 2042!
      that's quite strange, given that the latest commit is dated only 2037-04!

Comment

as shared yesterday NVIDIA isn't close to making it on that list.
        What do you expect from a company that introduces proprietary techniques like DLSS to squeeze out their customers with crazy price tags rather than contributing them to the public and standardizing them?

Comment

It's worth pointing out that Spectre, Meltdown, Foreshadow and the like have severely screwed up at least the first half of the year's kernel work. It has tied up a fair number of core kernel people and teams in to figuring out scope, potential fixes, test implementations etc. etc. The number of commits produced to handle those is disproportionate compared to the effort involved.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Maybe some already know this, but what happened with the files graph? First, I mean the massive amount of churn, but then what's up with the X axis?

I just don't trust that graph, at all. Most of it is waaay too suspiciously flat.

Comment

What is TI even doing, these days? Or in the kernel, at least? I haven't had anything to do with them since they wound down their DSP division.

Comment

It grew to this size from zero in just a few years. Sometimes I wonder what the kernel will look like in 2543. It will be bigger than the entire rest of any OS based on it.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  It grew to this size from zero in just a few years.
                  In fairness, "just a few" in this case is 27 years (1991-2018).
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X