Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The D Language Front-End Is Trying Now To Get Into GCC 9

Phoronix: The D Language Front-End Is Trying Now To Get Into GCC 9

Going on for a while now have been D language front-end patches for GCC to allow this programming language to be supported by the GNU Compiler Collection. It's been a long battle getting to this state but it looks like it soon might be mainlined...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds about right , a language that failed to gain traction trying to be mainlined in the compiler virtually abandoned for implementing new languages

Comment

Is Walter still working on D? If so, man, that guy is tenacious!

I messed around with D way back before even version 1. It was a good idea and fun but suffered from a poor compiler environment. DMD just didn't cut it and gcc produced faster code. It took so long to start getting decent backends that I gave up. By the time they had something I didn't care any more because new C and C++ standards were revitalizing them and scripting languages were performing better than ever.

Frankly, if you want to program in an odd-ball static language then do either Rust or Go. Go also has a poor compiler/back-end environment but at least it's supported by a lot of money (for now). Rust suffers from the Scala/OCaml/et al problem in that it supports too many programming paradigms which ends up making even your own code difficult to understand if you leave it for a while. I really like functional programming. I'm an old-school Erlang developer. However, the way it's mixed in to these other languages is just complicated.

At the end of the day you just can't beat plain old C or C++ when it makes sense. At least for low-level stuff. At the high level you aren't messing with compiled languages in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
        Sounds about right , a language that failed to gain traction
        Just waiting for the stupid Rust fad to pass in the same way.

Comment

linner are you referring to the way Rust handles mutability , that shared values are inmutable by default but can be modified by using additional abstractions that guarantee thread safety ( eg refcell ) ?

Comment

What is this, drive-by-shit-on?

1. Yes, some high profile projects use the (excellent) LLVM/Clang compiler suite. But since Linux and git use GCC, GCC is not dead or dying.

2. Yes, the languages D, Go, and Rust are a much harder sell today than they were before C++11 and newer. But D and Rust have some really cool features that C++ can't ever get because of backwards compatibility requirements. (I never looked at Go.). And the hot project in D right now is ABI compatibility with C++, which would make D a very practical choice for shops with existing C++ code.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              2. Yes, the languages D, Go, and Rust are a much harder sell today than they were before C++11 and newer. But D and Rust have some really cool features that C++ can't ever get because of backwards compatibility requirements. (I never looked at Go.). And the hot project in D right now is ABI compatibility with C++, which would make D a very practical choice for shops with existing C++ code.
              I'm no D expert, but last time I checked, the "really cool features" in D have been later implemented in C++. All the constexpr stuff, lambdas, template extensions, static asserts, and so on. The builtin unit test block doesn't replace a full unit test suite. D might be a better C++, but if a project requires C++ level code generation, it could just pick C++ these days. Go and Rust solve different problems, but D is just C++ "on steroids".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                What is this, drive-by-shit-on?

1. Yes, some high profile projects use the (excellent) LLVM/Clang compiler suite. But since Linux and git use GCC, GCC is not dead or dying.

How does git uses GCC? I think like many other C software it can be compiled with different C compilers. GCC isn't dying but D was never really alive. Unlike Rust and Go, it failed to gain any significant mindshare and there is no reason to believe it will. Adding D frontend to GCC is really strange, why not to add a dozen other frontends for languages with similar popularity?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Just waiting for the stupid Rust fad to pass in the same way.
                  I don't think what is left of your natural lifespan is long enough to actually wait that out.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I don't think what is left of your natural lifespan is long enough to actually wait that out.
                    Or, in the words of the borrow checker: you do not live long enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X