Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's New Iris Gallium3D Driver Picks Up Experimental Icelake Bits, GL Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's New Iris Gallium3D Driver Picks Up Experimental Icelake Bits, GL Features

Phoronix: Intel's New Iris Gallium3D Driver Picks Up Experimental Icelake Bits, GL Features

One of the talks we are most interested in at XDC2018 is on the Intel "Iris" Gallium3D driver we discovered last month was in development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has anyone attempted to run this new driver? Or is it still to early to get excited about it? I'd be very interested to see how it will turn out.

Comment

Is there any chance of this making its way to haswell?

Comment

I mean no offense, but many people stated years ago that Intel would eventually have no choice but to move to gallium3d or something similar. It has something to do with how VEC4 pipelines work, i don't understand all the details, but the mesa classic pipeline was not made for modern graphics architectures and that's what gallium solved years ago. Intel should have done this years ago, their excuse was that the classic pipeline was already well developed. And that was true, but you can't expect a well developed gallium driver to appear out of thin air, it actually needs to be developed well in order to become well developed. They should have done this a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Has anyone attempted to run this new driver? Or is it still to early to get excited about it? I'd be very interested to see how it will turn out.
          It is pretty early yet. A number of features are missing, there are still quite a few bugs, crashes, even GPU hangs and I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter some hardlocks. Also, some critical performance features (color compressiond and HiZ) aren't there yet. YMMV, but unless you're planning on working on it, I would probably wait a bit.

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
          Is there any chance of this making its way to haswell?
          Not likely. Sorry :( There's a chance it might make it to Broadwell. But Haswell's architecture is a fair bit different than Skylake. In particular, memory management is a lot more constrained. I'm not sure what we're going to do about older hardware just yet. Stick with i965? Make an Iris-Legacy?

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I mean no offense, but many people stated years ago that Intel would eventually have no choice but to move to gallium3d or something similar. It has something to do with how VEC4 pipelines work, i don't understand all the details, but the mesa classic pipeline was not made for modern graphics architectures and that's what gallium solved years ago. Intel should have done this years ago, their excuse was that the classic pipeline was already well developed. And that was true, but you can't expect a well developed gallium driver to appear out of thin air, it actually needs to be developed well in order to become well developed. They should have done this a long time ago.
          No offense as well, but "I don't understand all the details" pretty much sums up this comment. vec4 vs scalar is a compiler topic, and both systems can now use the same compiler. Gallium vs Classic really doesn't have anything to do with modern hardware vs. old hardware. Classic is just a more raw interface - you have to do a bunch of things yourself in the driver. In fact, the st/mesa state tracker, which all Gallium drivers use to implement GL, is a classic driver. :) There is a whole lot of misinformation floating around on this topic...
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
            It is pretty early yet. A number of features are missing, there are still quite a few bugs, crashes, even GPU hangs and I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter some hardlocks. Also, some critical performance features (color compressiond and HiZ) aren't there yet. YMMV, but unless you're planning on working on it, I would probably wait a bit.
            Thanks man! Would be interesting to see Intel graphics working with Gallium Nine!

Comment

Working...
            X