Ampere eMAG Processors Delivering 32 ARMv8-A Cores At Up To 3.3GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampere eMAG Processors Delivering 32 ARMv8-A Cores At Up To 3.3GHz

Phoronix: Ampere eMAG Processors Delivering 32 ARMv8-A Cores At Up To 3.3GHz

On Tuesday, Ampere Computing announced their first-generation ARMv8-A 64-bit processors for data centers and already has formed a partnership with Lenovo and other ODMs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats exciting! Would be nice if one of those 22-core Power9 CPUs got thrown as part of these tests too. The CPU ecosystem is becoming very interesting lately...

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
      Thats exciting! Would be nice if one of those 22-core Power9 CPUs got thrown as part of these tests too. The CPU ecosystem is becoming very interesting lately...
      Unfortunately I have no POWER9 hardware... Though IBM just the other day said they had a dual 20-core server they might send out as a 'loan', so that will be coming sometime soon assuming their loan paperwork isn't cumbersome.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

With 8 memory channels, something like OpenFOAM benchmark is a must

Comment

With 16nm process, i wonder how competitive these processors will (not?) be, on a perf/watt comparison...

Comment

Talk about off the radar, never knew of Ampere and ARM processors until today. Sadly I don't see these companies having a chance in hell until they deliver mainstream volume processors. Take this chip and plug it into a smaller pin count package to drive the chip into higher volume server sales, and even desktop workstations and maybe, just maybe they will be around in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
              Oh absolutely! Now, PTS is currently able to perform CFD benchmarks with Dolfyn, which I believe uses DNS to solve the NS-PDEs (I will check). If thats the case then the performance metrics from a benchmark with Dolfyn "should" be closely correlated to a similar case with OpenFOAM. In the end most of the work is spent solving sparse-systems.

I am not too surprised that OpenFOAM is not part of PTS. OF is kinda large and most people do not know how to use it (you need to know CFD first of all). Parallelization in OF is a manual operation and case dependent "(partDict stuff). The only was I can see OF being added to PTS is for someone knowledgeable and willing to put together a good set of CFD cases (DNS,LES,kw,ke,etc for a few common geometries). Would definitely be interesting...

Is Dolfyn a serial or parallel application? Elmer sure is and is way smaller and less cumbersome (and less powerful) than OpenFOAM.

Anyways, I would definitely like Dolfyn to be tested with the new ARM CPU alongside EPYC and Xeon.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                Originally posted by toguro123 View Post

Oh absolutely! Now, PTS is currently able to perform CFD benchmarks with Dolfyn, which I believe uses DNS to solve the NS-PDEs (I will check). If thats the case then the performance metrics from a benchmark with Dolfyn "should" be closely correlated to a similar case with OpenFOAM. In the end most of the work is spent solving sparse-systems.

I am not too surprised that OpenFOAM is not part of PTS. OF is kinda large and most people do not know how to use it (you need to know CFD first of all). Parallelization in OF is a manual operation and case dependent "(partDict stuff). The only was I can see OF being added to PTS is for someone knowledgeable and willing to put together a good set of CFD cases (DNS,LES,kw,ke,etc for a few common geometries). Would definitely be interesting...

Is Dolfyn a serial or parallel application? Elmer sure is and is way smaller and less cumbersome (and less powerful) than OpenFOAM.

Anyways, I would definitely like Dolfyn to be tested with the new ARM CPU alongside EPYC and Xeon.
                If there is some good build script for OpenFOAM, happy to add it to PTS... I know I've certainly looked at adding OpenFOAM before to PTS but don't recall what was blocking it -- either something to do with dependencies or messy build process.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Let me again advertise EasyBuild here Helps a lot with automating all those messy build processes out there.

I spent last few days just getting default openfoam 4.1 package provided by ubuntu 18.04 to work. It's missing so much stuff that even the provided examples don't work. But luckily you can fetch the missing scripts from github.

I'll collect what I did to get it running and will drop you an email.

Comment

Wow this is actually pretty impressive hardware, even when compared to x86 platforms. The price seems pretty decent too. I look forward to the benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X