Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Tests: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / GTX 1080 Ti / RTX 2080 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Tests: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / GTX 1080 Ti / RTX 2080 Ti

Phoronix: Initial Tests: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 / GTX 1080 Ti / RTX 2080 Ti

The latest in our GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Linux benchmarking is a look at how the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver performance on Ubuntu 18.04 is comparing to that of Microsoft Windows 10 when using these initial launch drivers. For additional perspective are also some basic Ubuntu vs. Windows NVIDIA tests on the GeForce GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 Ti.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for also adding D3D11 results in unigine

Comment

I really fail to see the point of including Heaven in these tests. It's 9 years old and we've already established last time that it's unable to measure performance with these latest cards... at all.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        I really fail to see the point of including Heaven in these tests. It's 9 years old and we've already established last time that it's unable to measure performance with these latest cards... at all.
        What are you suggesting then, valley?

Also, why ubuntu? why not something faster? Manjaro is real popular these days...

Comment

Would be nice to see some of the newer games, like Total War.

Comment

Really nice set of benchmarks.

I particularly appreciate that you used a completely stock Ubuntu 18.04 system. This will be very representative of what the typical new GNU/Linux user will be using.

I always think it's a little unfair when Windows 10 is compared to some bleeding edge version of GNU/Linux using the very latest Kernel + Mesa/drivers. It's useful to see those benchmarks of course, but it doesn't tell us much about the typical GNU/Linux gaming experience that people will have.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              I always think it's a little unfair when Windows 10 is compared to some bleeding edge version of GNU/Linux using the very latest Kernel + Mesa/drivers. It's useful to see those benchmarks of course, but it doesn't tell us much about the typical GNU/Linux gaming experience that people will have.
              I'd think a lot of linux gamers, at least those interested in benchmarks, would be on recent kernel & drivers.
              I mean, I'm pretty sure Michael uses up-to-date drivers for Windows.

Comment

What's the point of this "benchmark" both machines are different

Comment

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
                  I'd think a lot of linux gamers, at least those interested in benchmarks, would be on recent kernel & drivers.
                  I mean, I'm pretty sure Michael uses up-to-date drivers for Windows.
                  There are usually other article testing git master of mesa and the kernel.

That kernel is not even a year old, are we seriously going to start considering every distro which is not a rolling release distro to not have new enough packages?

18.04 is a great example IMO for something rather recent which the mainstream most likely is using.
                  You don't see michael using the pre-release windows builds either, so it just seems fair.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                    That kernel is not even a year old, are we seriously going to start considering every distro which is not a rolling release distro to not have new enough packages?
                    Yes, we are, and we should have already more than a decade ago. It might not fully apply for some applications that demand utmost stability, such as servers (keyword being might)

But for consumers, and even most professional applications, lagging behind a whole fucking year on releases? That's just not ok for most people, it doesn't happen on macs, it doesn't happen on windows, it only happens here, and nobody who has used anything else over the past years, is ok with it, if they tell themselves they're ok with it they're only lying to themselves. We need to start setting higher standards over here, it doesn't have to be a choice between being a year behind on releases for every single god damn program with good stability or rolling release with bad stability.

Because you can have rolling release with just as good stability as these 'lagging a year behind' distros. I've spent most of my time on arch linux, and whenever I've tried something else, my problems (stability related and otherwise) only increased, contrary to expectation. Now arch isn't exactly a beacon of stability perhaps because it requires users to manually make some changes to their system to avoid breakage with every tenth major update (or something like that, it happens but usually with a few months between). But Manjaro on the other hand tries to fix that issue, and it's mostly successful at it. Rolling release is the only thing a lot of people are willing to accept, and distros that don't deliver it are doomed to eventually fail as more distros that do come out.

Even if we only have an outdated kernel, the likelihood of issues with more recent hardware significantly increases compared to rolling releases.

It's time to admit that high stability at the price of massively outdated software, is a niche solution, and too high a price to pay for most modern PC users.
                    Last edited by rabcor; 27 September 2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X