Additional Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Benchmarks

Phoronix: Additional Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 NVIDIA/AMD Graphics Benchmarks

Earlier this week I published some initial Windows vs. Ubuntu graphics tests with a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and other NVIDIA graphics cards. While having that Windows 10 install around, I also did some comparison tests with a Radeon RX 580 and RX Vega 64 on this same system and using the latest AMD drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, you have a lot of unread notifications in steam.

Comment

Originally posted by totoz View Post
      Michael, you have a lot of unread notifications in steam.
      Not much of a need to when only ever using it for benchmarking...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for another interesting comparison Michael.

>The OpenArena results for anyone interested, which here Linux is faster on all five tested graphics cards.
        Linux beats Windows regardless of what graphics card you have. It's over, Microsoft is bankrupt and finished. Wintoddlers BTFO. This will be the year of the GNU/Linux desktop.

Comment

Well it looks like in most cases, Linux with its open source AMD driver stack is now putting up a fight. That's nice to see.

Comment

Dota2 Vulkan is significantly faster on windows it seems. Both on Nvidia and AMD.

Comment

radav's excuse is, that it's not fully optimized ,yet. but what about nvidia? aren't they using the same code base?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                radav's excuse is, that it's not fully optimized ,yet. but what about nvidia? aren't they using the same code base?
                That would need a deeper analysis of the game itself. If certain threads are stalled or a bottleneck in the rendering pipeline is causing the slowdown. For AMD GPUs, such tools exist and I guess game developers might have access to a similar tool from Nvidia. Aside from those fine grained performance statistics you may extract from the game (and compare them to Windows), there may also be porting losses from the Windows version.

May someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the early days, Dota2 was ported to Linux (maybe this has changed) so the codebase on Windows and Linux is not the same. The best method to compare two games on Windows and Linux is a game with the very same codebase and I'm not sure if that is the case for Dota2.

If after that (same codebase, same renderer etc) performance differences still exist, its time to look at the OS itself.
                Last edited by Shevchen; 30 September 2018, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  RadV and amdvlk are both in general slower than AMD's windows vulkan driver.
                  But the nvidia linux vulkan driver is generally good.

So this is something that valve has to answer, why dota2 vulkan is slower on Linux vs Windows...
                  Last edited by humbug; 30 September 2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    RadV and amdvlk are both in general slower than AMD's windows vulkan driver.
                    But the nvidia linux vulkan driver is generally good.

So this is something that valve has to answer, why dota2 vulkan is slower on Linux vs Windows...
                    I've seen speculation that the difference is in the shader compiler because when amdvlk was open sourced they switched from using their proprietary shader compiler to using LLVM. The Windows driver is most likely still using their proprietary compiler.

Comment

Working...
                    X