BigBen PS3OFMINIPAD Gaming Controller To Be Supported By Linux 4.20~5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigBen PS3OFMINIPAD Gaming Controller To Be Supported By Linux 4.20~5.0

Phoronix: BigBen PS3OFMINIPAD Gaming Controller To Be Supported By Linux 4.20~5.0

The PS3OFMINIPAD is a low-cost wired gamepad controller manufactured by UK-based BigBen Interactive and marketed for use with the PlayStation 3 and being a "kid friendly" controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The good thing about the PC as a game platform is that you can use the right tool for the job. Want to play some twin stick shooter? There is plenty of options. Want precision aiming and don't want a mouse, there is the Steam Controller. Race game, choose your wheel ($$$).

There is no need to choose ONE controller, this is not a console platform.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      There are custom controllers on consoles as well (steering wheels etc.). No need to use only gamepad.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

There are custom controllers on consoles as well (steering wheels etc.). No need to use only gamepad.
        True, but in my experience those usually are trash, or overpriced ones.

PS: do not buy the Logitech F710.

Comment

Once again no link to the actual product. I get it you don't want people to leave your site, but make an amazon affiliate link or something to take us to the place where the news is occurring. It is really frustrating to rely on you for news and not be quickly taken to the place/thing the news is about.

Comment

The good thing about the PC as a game platform is that you can use the right tool for the job. Want to play some twin stick shooter? There is plenty of options. Want precision aiming and don't want a mouse, there is the Steam Controller. Race game, choose your wheel ($$$).

Microsoft heard you, they are now allowing keyboard and mouse for Xbox.

What have you done? You have doomed us all!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Microsoft heard you, they are now allowing keyboard and mouse for Xbox.

What have you done? You have doomed us all!
              I don't like do be doomed alone, so I'm dragging everyone with me. Hope you guys don't mind.

I believe that will be enabled only in games where the developer finds it useful. That could allow some PC exclusive genres to be better adapted to consoles. I find it unlikely that CoD or BF games will allow this on consoles and if they do, will be segregated on multiplayer.

Comment

I believe that will be enabled only in games where the developer finds it useful. That could allow some PC exclusive genres to be better adapted to consoles.
                Yeah, afaik the game needs to actually allow that, there is no "control remapping" like you have on Steam with the Steam controller, so the game needs to be able to accept raw mouse and keyboard input.

But yeah, this is pretty much necessary to have RTS games on consoles, for example.

I suspect Microsoft wants to move all gaming they can to a platform they can actually control, and where Steam can't run, you know.

I find it unlikely that CoD or BF games will allow this on consoles and if they do, will be segregated on multiplayer.
                Eh, I think it might change depending on how the situation evolves. We are currently in a bit of a unstable moment, where all possibilities are still viable.

For example, Sony recently allowed beta testing of cross-platform multiplayer on Fortnite for the PS4 (to any other platform), and wants to roll this out as an official feature for the PS4 (game designers decide if their game can do it, of course), if this testing shows it's all good.
                https://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...with-fortnite/

So yeah, keyboard an mouse, cross-platform, they do want to make their little closed gardens look open. It all depends from how much people fall in the trap.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 30 September 2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Yeah, afaik the game needs to actually allow that, there is no "control remapping" like you have on Steam with the Steam controller, so the game needs to be able to accept raw mouse and keyboard input.

But yeah, this is pretty much necessary to have RTS games on consoles, for example.

I suspect Microsoft wants to move all gaming they can to a platform they can actually control, and where Steam can't run, you know.

Eh, I think it might change depending on how the situation evolves. We are currently in a bit of a unstable moment, where all possibilities are still viable.

For example, Sony recently allowed beta testing of cross-platform multiplayer on Fortnite for the PS4 (to any other platform), and wants to roll this out as an official feature for the PS4 (game designers decide if their game can do it, of course), if this testing shows it's all good.
                  https://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...with-fortnite/

So yeah, keyboard an mouse, cross-platform, they do want to make their little closed gardens look open. It all depends from how much people fall in the trap.
                  With the PC gaming marketing being bigger than never, actually pushing the grow of PC hardware sales, including gamepads from Sony and MS, they (Sony) sure are looking for ways to avoid a mass migration to that platform.

A Lot of people already have more than one platform, it is ease to abandon one of them.

Comment

True, but in my experience those usually are trash, or overpriced ones.

PS: do not buy the Logitech F710.
                    On PC there are crappy or overpriced controllers as well. But yeah, PC has more options to choose.

Comment

Working...
                    X