Intel Begins Working On A Vulkan Compute Back-End For OpenCV Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Begins Working On A Vulkan Compute Back-End For OpenCV Library

Phoronix: Intel Begins Working On A Vulkan Compute Back-End For OpenCV Library

As perhaps a sign of where Intel is heading for their GPU computing strategy with their in-development discrete GPUs, they are developing a Vulkan compute back-end for the widely-used OpenCV library. This Vulkan back-end is for handling GPU-based compute for neural networks with this Open Computer Vision library as an alternative to the CUDA and OpenCL GPU compute support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is one of the most interesting uses of Vulkan compute we've seen thus far.
    I completely agree. OpenCV is already very CPU intensive even with T-API. The reduced CPU overhead of Vulkan ought to have a distinctly large performance increase.
    This is a very welcome addition.

Comment

I'm quite surprised. To me the biggest problem with OpenCV is not the cpu overhead, but a lot of inneficient kernels, and the loss of bandwith caused by not merging small kernels together.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
          I'm quite surprised. To me the biggest problem with OpenCV is not the cpu overhead, but a lot of inneficient kernels, and the loss of bandwith caused by not merging small kernels together.
          I suppose that in and of itself could be a cause for higher CPU overhead, but depending on your workflow, keeping the kernels separate might offer a performance advantage. I'm not sure there's an easy way to address this without re-writing a lot of the library.
          That being said, if we take the library for what it is, a common use application for it is robots and IoT devices, which have very limited processing power. OpenCV gets exponentially slower as you increase the resolution, so if such a device needs to handle an image larger than 640x480 (which most devices can handle just fine), anything to help reduce CPU overhead will be very beneficial to such devices.

Comment

Working...
          X