Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Succeeds At Flicker-Free Boot Experience On Intel Hardware

After optimizing the Linux laptop battery life last cycle, Hans de Goede of Red Hat has been working on Fedora 29 to provide a "flicker-free" boot experience. A Linux desktop flicker-free boot has been talked about for a decade or longer but with Fedora 29 and using Intel graphics that is finally becoming a reality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hans De Goede is a rockstar. Do we really deserve this excellent man?

Comment

Well done! Cheers

Comment

Anyone knows if any similar effort exists on amdgpu front?

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
          Anyone knows if any similar effort exists on amdgpu front?
          He has it mentioned in the blog posts as a TODO

Comment

This is so very much overdue and so very awesome!

Hopefully it can be configured to emit text on top of the graphics so that one can know the boot stages.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              This is so very much overdue and so very awesome!

Hopefully it can be configured to emit text on top of the graphics so that one can know the boot stages.
              ESC - key, as always...?!

SUSE is working on the 'same'.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
                I just love it. Yes, I do. Fedora seems like the 0.000000001% of desktop distros that actually do things besides just bumping package versions.
                Along with Solus.

Comment

I wonder how hard it would be to detect a black area of the screen and draw some sort of animation. Regardless, this is amazing! Fedora is the new leader in Linux "polishing"; still like Debian better though. I hope Linux computer vendors help integrate this with UEFI logos and different distros.

Comment

What do they mean by "flicker"? The code that runs across the screen? Thats part of the Linux boot experience, thats not even a bother.

So they been glancing at Windows and felt like it wasnt "cool" enough? Jesus christ, linux-devs, learn to ignore peer-pressure...

Comment

Working...
                    X