It's Now Easier Using The Latest LLVM libc++ & libomp On Ubuntu/Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Now Easier Using The Latest LLVM libc++ & libomp On Ubuntu/Debian

Phoronix: It's Now Easier Using The Latest LLVM libc++ & libomp On Ubuntu/Debian

If you want to experiment with using the libc++ standard library alternative to libstdc++ on Ubuntu/Debian or also the LLVM OpenMP library (libomp), the LLVM project is now producing binaries for these sub-projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess soon it'll be LLVM/Linux rather than GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      I guess soon it'll be LLVM/Linux rather than GNU/Linux
      I'll be glad for that to happen, if only just so that it will be a great way to give the FOSS zealots the metaphorical finger.

On a more realistic and practical mode, LLVM should remain separate and not get itself assimilated into Linux as a core system library, if only because of Rust and Firefox's dependency on LLVM.

Considering that both Firefox and Rust are on rapid-release schedules, it has become very common for up-to-date versions of Firefox to depend on up-to-date versions of Rust as both a buildtime and runtime dependency. If LLVM and its subprojects (especially Clang and libc) become as vital to a Linux distribution as GCC to a point where attempting to update them basically mandates a complete distribution upgrade, it will cause problems for users of stable distributions who still want up-to-date versions of certain rapid-release applications that depend on up-to-date versions of LLVM and its subprojects.

As it is right now, this separation of LLVM and its subprojects from the typical set of core system libraries is what makes it possible for me to build it, Clang, libc, Rust and Firefox 62 on Fedora 22 (which has been EOL-ed for ages)
      Last edited by Sonadow; 02 October 2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I'll be glad for that to happen, if only just so that it will be a great way to give the FOSS zealots the metaphorical finger.
        Love this! It is so sad to see those zealots go off the deep end every time LLVM is mentioned.

On a more realistic and practical mode, LLVM should remain separate and not get itself assimilated into Linux as a core system library, if only because of Rust and Firefox's dependency on LLVM.
        However this I don't follow. In the past it wasn't uncommon to have two or three different GCC tool chinas installed. In stalling LLVM isn't much different.

Considering that both Firefox and Rust are on rapid-release schedules, it has become very common for up-to-date versions of Firefox to depend on up-to-date versions of Rust as both a buildtime and runtime dependency. If LLVM and its subprojects (especially Clang and libc) become as vital to a Linux distribution as GCC to a point where attempting to update them basically mandates a complete distribution upgrade, it will cause problems for users of stable distributions who still want up-to-date versions of certain rapid-release applications that depend on up-to-date versions of LLVM and its subprojects.

As it is right now, this separation of LLVM and its subprojects from the typical set of core system libraries is what makes it possible for me to build it, Clang, libc, Rust and Firefox 62 on Fedora 22 (which has been EOL-ed for ages)
        I would tend to think that at some point the rapid updates to Rust will come to an end. Frankly I find developing languages to be a royal pain and prefer stable or at least standardized. This is why I find it surprising that the FireFox team went with Rust this early.

Comment

Pretty sure Debian already packaged libc++ for more than a year

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Of course, Sylvestre does this and that

Comment

I think the emphasis is on "latest". Debian stable will always be outdated, and latest can lag behind aswell

Comment

Ehh... LLVM/Clang is FOSS. Do you suffer from some anti-FOSS zelotry ?

On a more realistic and practical mode, LLVM should remain separate and not get itself assimilated into Linux as a core system library,
                How on earth would LLVM be 'assimilated' into Linux ?

I have no problem with using either GNU or alternatives, I'm only interested in the best performance/functionality, assuming they are both FOSS which they are in this case. If the alternatives show better performance/functionality and there's no compability problem then I would be happy to switch.

Comment

More like three years. I have testing clang-libc++ builds of Qt routinely for a while.

Comment

Fun fact.. Debian had it even before Fedora. Let that sink in.

Comment

Working...
                    X