Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau DRM Tree Sees Updates Ahead Of Linux 4.20

Phoronix: Nouveau DRM Tree Sees Updates Ahead Of Linux 4.20

While there has been lots of Intel updates and tons of AMDGPU activity in DRM-Next for the upcoming Linux 4.20~5.0 cycle, there hadn't been any changes to the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver while at least today the Nouveau DRM tree has seen some new updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

we'll never get proper acceleration on nvidia with opensource drivers, will we.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      NVIDIA does not want it.

Comment

Thankfully we have some excellent alternatives from AMD and intel. Any self respecting FOSS geek should be voting with their dollars, and buying from the GPU vendors that actually do support open source drivers. I.e. not nvidia.

Comment

couldn't deep learning be used to figure out the clocking speeds? making the cards very inefficient in the beginning and making the users share their data, use that data for data training in order to step by step gain efficiency.

Comment

unfortunately nvidia cards seem to be significantly more energy efficient, which is something i always pay attention to.

Comment

unfortunately nvidia cards seem to be significantly more energy efficient, which is something i always pay attention to.
              Hardly, it's not even close. AMD wins by a mile. Look at literally any Phoronix article comparing Nouveau with AMDGPU. The only way nvidia has any kind of an edge, is with their closed binary blob drivers, and even then, AMD still wins on performance-per-dollar.

My Radeon rx 560 idles at 6 watts on FOSS drivers. Nvidia cannot touch that, even with their proprietary drivers. I don't care what the card uses under load, because it's only under load while gaming, maybe 3 hours a week for me.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 October 2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X