Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ET: Legacy Is Still Letting You Relive Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Memories In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ET: Legacy Is Still Letting You Relive Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Memories In 2018

Phoronix: ET: Legacy Is Still Letting You Relive Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Memories In 2018

One of the still ongoing projects based upon the open-source id Tech 3 / ioquake3 engine still having a following in 2018 is ET: Legacy. ET: Legacy is the open-source project retaining full compatibility with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2.60 while continuing to make engine improvements and with time have been remastering many of the original maps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's odd, I seem to be the only one that finds porting Id Software's older titles to alternative platforms quite difficult and time consuming. I tried the original GPL source dump of Doom and Quake II as exercises and just to get the build system going with SDL, it took me a couple of weeks! :/

Luckily, someone much smarter than me has already ported Return to Castle Wolfenstein Singleplayer and Multiplayer (not quite the same as ET) to OpenBSD here: https://github.com/jonathangray/rtcw-mp-openbsd

I imagine that many of the patches are still quite relevant if you wanted to get ET running on non-Windows/Linux platforms.

Comment

@Topic: It's nice to see them going. I used to maintain etlegacy for a certain distro many, many years ago.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      It's odd, I seem to be the only one that finds porting Id Software's older titles to alternative platforms quite difficult and time consuming. I tried the original GPL source dump of Doom and Quake II as exercises and just to get the build system going with SDL, it took me a couple of weeks! :/
      Can I get in contact with you? I wish to port ioquake3 to PS3 with https://github.com/ps3dev/ps3toolchain. The only obstacle, other than patching headers and tweaking the make command seems to be the lack of IPv6 support in the toolchain.

Comment

Just a couple of days ago we did a sort of "revival" LAN-party, with some of the same people that played 10 to 15 years ago.
        I also brought ET Legacy as a working variant of ET.
        Still one of the best multiplayer games of all time (IMHO), and a classic that's still worth playing.

The graphics of ET Legacy are nice enough, especially since it supports all common resolutions of today.
        ET Legacy works of course perfectly.

Thanks for keeping this alive, I still have fond memories and might play online for a round or another.
        The don't make stuff like this anymore.

Comment

Oh man, the Whosgaming server was the best. Great memories playing that game!

Comment

Working...
          X