Linux Code of Conduct Likely To See Changes Ahead Of 4.19 Kernel Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Code of Conduct Likely To See Changes Ahead Of 4.19 Kernel Release

Phoronix: Linux Code of Conduct Likely To See Changes Ahead Of 4.19 Kernel Release

The Linux kernel's Code of Conduct that was abruptly dropped onto the Linux kernel, which happened as Linus Torvalds was announcing his empathy retreat last month, will likely see some revisions ahead of the upcoming Linux 4.19 stable debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pray that these changes make the Linux CoC similar to say PostgreSQL's version at minimum. Strip out the controversy once and for all.

Comment

I sense Drama Inc.

Comment

"socio-economic status"

That doesn't even have any meaning lol.

Comment

That actually sounds good. They are making the CoC quite a bit more sane.

Comment

Sounds like a very wise change.
            Almost makes it close to the previous code that had no problems what so ever.

Comment

It could do with some further changes if you ask me, but the change to the part about what protected classes this includes is actually a better than what I would have suggested (adding political leanings to the list of what's protected).

My primary remaining gripe is with the wording of the section on maintainers being able to further "define and clarify" the scope of the CoC that can be read as allowing maintainers to expand the scope of the project beyond the general scope definition. To some this may seem like a somewhat odd thing to voice concerns over, but I'm thinking about trying prevent what happened to that senior Durpal developer* happening with the Linux kernel. All that would take is another sentence making it clear that maintainers still have to stick within the general scope definition or just changing that part of the sentence to "refine and clarify", i.e a single character.

Other than that, I'd also like to see some language protecting potentially harsh criticism so that developers can be direct and clear when writing constructive criticism rather than having to fear someone with low self-esteem or who just tries to deflect legitimate criticism using spurious claims of harassment. Another thing that I'd like to see amended would be proper punishments and procedures for spurious or otherwise bad faith harassment claims over things like legitimate criticisms or simple disagreements.

*The guy was basically into some roleplay BDSM stuff seen by many feminists as misogynist so another, more junior, developer basically cyberstalked him for months on invite-only forums for people with this hobby/kink, then presented a whole bunch of in-character posts on these forums and the senior dev was kicked out of the project without even being allowed to defend himself.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                "socio-economic status"

That doesn't even have any meaning lol.
                I am not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but it's a commonly used term within neuropsychology and we also use it in neuroradiological research as a covariate when doing statistical analysis.

Wiki def:
                Socioeconomic status (SES) is an economic and sociological combined total measure of a person's work experience and of an individual's or family's economic and social position in relation to others, based on income, education, and occupation.

Kind regards
                B.

Comment

With that patch, "a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation." would change to "a harassment-free experience for everyone."
                  They must change that really, that makes no sense at all

Comment

Good to see that the CoC shifts into a region where all rules are applied equally to everyone and doesn't give special protection to a certain group of arbitrary and highly subjective factors - which in follow up logic could have been turned around to take advantage over people not included in that list of factors.

May logic prevail.

Comment

Working...
                    X