Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Cracks 2,500 Projects On GitHub

Phoronix: Vulkan Cracks 2,500 Projects On GitHub

After cracking 2,000 projects referencing Vulkan on GitHub earlier this year, this week it passed the milestone of having more than 2,500 projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

while for OpenGL there are 38,014 project references.

Article literally says that means nothing.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Apple's Metal doesn't fair any better

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

In this context it does mean nothing! Some of those projects are older than the hills. It is the rate of adoption in new projects that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

I disagree, I think when looking at a 1 year history growth segment you can infer that Vulkan is healthily growing due to the increase.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

In this context it does mean nothing! Some of those projects are older than the hills. It is the rate of adoption in new projects that matter.
            Yes.. Quality matters, not quantity.

I don't have time to play games anymore...So, I'd rather spent 20€ on one game I would enjoy, than 4 times 5€ on games I don't enjoy. Of course, I way for steam sales...

But, I played some cheap indie games, and they were great, because they were made well. And, some pricy AAA were terrible. Good steam now provides refunds to get back money for shit games... So, still, quality matters.

Comment

Do you have to use some tricky language like C or C++ to code in Vulkan?

Or can you use something easier like C#, JavaScript, Python?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Do you have to use some tricky language like C or C++ to code in Vulkan?

Or can you use something easier like C#, JavaScript, Python?
                why do you call c++ tricky?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

why do you call c++ tricky?
                  Because I've tried it, and I am not as productive in it as other languages.
                  It didn't feel as easy and modern.

Linus Torvalds don't want any C++ in the kernel, because he wants to keep the idiots away. It is is so hard to have a full understanding of that language and to code well in it.
                  My understanding is that few of even professionals who work with it seem to understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Because I've tried it, and I am not as productive in it as other languages.
                    It didn't feel as easy and modern.

Linus Torvalds don't want any C++ in the kernel, because he wants to keep the idiots away. It is is so hard to have a full understanding of that language and to code well in it.
                    My understanding is that few of even professionals who work with it seem to understand it.
                    Actually, Linus wants just C, no C++, for kernel. C++ has got features, which are great to build applications and games, but don't suit kernel development.

Language pick is about goal and priorities. C++ has great performance, compared to other languages you've mentioned. If you don't need performance, then you don't need Vulkan, and you should just stick with OpenGL. Also, another option is to use engine built in C++ with scripting language like Python, JavaScript, Lua or other...

Comment

Working...
                    X