Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Expected Feature We Didn't See Yet For Ubuntu 18.10

Phoronix: The Expected Feature We Didn't See Yet For Ubuntu 18.10

While Ubuntu 18.10 is set to roll out this week with its new theme and an assortment of package updates and other enhancements, there is one feature Canonical previously talked about for the Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" cycle that we have yet to see made public...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any Ubuntu 18.10 users that have gotten their fingerprint scanner to work? That was my most anticipated feature for this release.

Comment

Most interesting features are Mesa 18.2 and Kernel 4.18.

Comment

I miss Python 3.7, unfortunately Ubuntu still uses Python 3.6. 😢
        Also Nautilus is heavily outdated at version 3.26 due to the removal of desktop icons support in Nautilus. There is a gnome-shell extension to provide desktop icons though.

Comment

uid313 again... we know you want the latest, but you can also install it by yourself, it's not that complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by b8e5n View Post
            uid313 again... we know you want the latest, but you can also install it by yourself, it's not that complicated.
            Any script or software that I write will then not run on other people's computers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Any script or software that I write will then not run on other people's computers.
              That is not necessarily true.
              If you want latest gnome and python, etc, why don't you use fedora for example?

Comment

Originally posted by b8e5n View Post

That is not necessarily true.
                If you want latest gnome and python, etc, why don't you use fedora for example?
                He's not talking about him, but about his users, who look like they are mainly using Ubuntu. He can't ask other to switch to another OS or install python 3.7 themselves, so he's stuck to support 3.6.

Comment

Openjdk 11 is there, last mesa and kernel. the sync with android not, but is working more and less, only need to install, nvidia-prime works and bumblebee too, its a much better than ubuntu 18.04, performance and looks. nautilus is old version again for the ppl who need desktop icons, the extension for new versions is beta yet but if ppl want the new nautilus, gnome ppa have it and snaps are working much better and faster, ppl who use ubuntu for desktop should upgrade for this version

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I feel your pain but that is unfortunately the price of working in the software industry, We've got one customer that still uses Debian 6.0 in production so we still have to provide compatible builds for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X