No announcement yet.

A Look At The Many Features On The Table For The Upcoming Linux 4.20~5.0 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Many Features On The Table For The Upcoming Linux 4.20~5.0 Kernel

Phoronix: A Look At The Many Features On The Table For The Upcoming Linux 4.20~5.0 Kernel

If all goes as planned, tomorrow will mark the availability of the Linux 4.19 stable kernel. That is also expected to mark the return of Linus Torvalds from his his retreat where he was working on his empathy skills and politeness. The 4.19 stable release will then kick off the merge window for the next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice

Comment

Typo: "from his his retreat"

Comment

The Linux kernel is rapidly becoming one of the most exciting things for me to monitor. I do have to say too that Linus never really bothered me with his "attitude" as people say, but I do very much respect the fact that he is willing to change some, if anything that will help new kernel contributors. Personally I always would've rather seen him just tell someone why their code "sucks" or "needs improvement" then swear like he has, but on the flip side, I think of the responsibility he has too on his shoulders. He's managing perhaps the world's greatest and most important kernel. If anything falls through the cracks it can make him look bad because he ultimately is the one who says " yay or nay". So in a lot of ways I understood why his attitude was how it was, on top of him says he "does it in his bathrobe" or something along those lines. So I get it. But next kernel looks to be amazing. I have to say too, I am excited to see what Torvalds has done with regard to himself. Regardless of what happens, I will always respect the guy and he'll always be a "tech hero" of sorts to me. There are lots who are, but I won't get into that to avoid being flamed. In my opinion though, Torvalds rocks regardless. This just makes me respect him more that he decided to take a look at himself and decide there may be something that needs fixing, but that's always on the individual. If you see something wrong with yourself, then there is. Excited for him to return, Greg has done a good job in his absence though.

Comment

someone should make some tool that scan your system and tell you if any of the new kernel features will benefit you or not

Comment

Hopefully we will start to see motherboards with built in 2.5G Intel controllers soon.

Comment

A stable Wireguard is definitely the major feature I'm waiting for. All of our devices, aside from the server, are mobile. The ability to hop across IP and transport (WiFi, LTE), as mosh does, is extraordinarily useful.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                someone should make some tool that scan your system and tell you if any of the new kernel features will benefit you or not
                Interesting idea. In theory, it shouldn't be that hard. Aside from the changes that affect everyone regardless of hardware, the rest can be detected based on stuff like PCI ID, USB ID, chipset name, CPU family, etc. So basically the tool just greps newly merged Linux code for whichever IDs it collects from your system and tells you what was changed.

Comment

Working...
                X