No announcement yet.

Qt Drafts A Code of Conduct To Have A Formal Line About Unacceptable Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Drafts A Code of Conduct To Have A Formal Line About Unacceptable Behavior

Phoronix: Qt Drafts A Code of Conduct To Have A Formal Line About Unacceptable Behavior

The Qt Project has been the latest open-source community constructing a Code of Conduct. The motivation for this CoC in the Qt camp has been driven to "establish a formal line-in-the-sand about what is unacceptable behavior. We want new members of the Qt community to feel comfortable and accepted, and we want to foster a healthy working environment for both current and new members."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was really hoping this PC bullshit wouldn't make it's way into the open source community. On the end of the day all it matters is the code written.

Comment

Here comes the US timezone....

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
        I was really hoping this PC bullshit wouldn't make it's way into the open source community. On the end of the day all it matters is the code written.
        So you are saying that it's fine to foster a toxic work environment as long as the code is okay? Perhaps there would be even more good code if more skilled people weren't turned away by the toxic working environment?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

So you are saying that it's fine to foster a toxic work environment as long as the code is okay? Perhaps there would be even more good code if more skilled people weren't turned away by the toxic working environment?
          Accepting a pull request is not "fostering" anything. Should I reject a code contribution just because someone made a crude comment towards another developer? What about freedom of speech?

Comment

Accepting a pull request is not "fostering" anything. Should I reject a code contribution just because someone made a crude comment towards another developer? What about freedom of speech?
            There's a difference between freedom of speech and freedom of harassment, and no, there's no CoC that asks you to reject anyone's code. Enough with the FUD already.

Comment

You know the sh-peel about freedom..... It's double sided tape, it sticks both ways..... If your freedom of speech is used to be an asshole and it impedes on someone else's freedom to not be harassed, then your freedom breaks his freedom.... Duh... Who's freedom has priority? You being an asshole or him not getting harassed? Bad or Good. Wrong or right.

I can't understand why people don't get freedom. Freedom -IS- a evil vs good type of thing.

Comment

They could've put the same effort into fixing bugs and making Qt less of a piece of bloatware.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You know the sh-peel about freedom..... It's double sided tape, it sticks both ways..... If your freedom of speech is used to be an asshole and it impedes on someone else's freedom to not be harassed, then your freedom breaks his freedom.... Duh... Who's freedom has priority? You being an asshole or him not getting harassed? Bad or Good. Wrong or right.

I can't understand why people don't get freedom. Freedom -IS- a evil vs good type of thing.
                  Exactly. Freedom of speech is great, but it comes with certain responsibilities and one has to understand that people will judge you for whom you are by your words. Words can have consequences and freedom of speech is not something that exempts a person from that.

Comment

See, those two statements are contradictory because if some anti-social racist troll prevents other people from contributing, then you are losing potential code that could have been written.

Comment

Working...
                    X