Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Announces Deal To Acquire Red Hat At $34 Billion

Phoronix: IBM Reportedly Close To Acquiring Red Hat

In a deal that could potentially be announced as soon as today, IBM is reportedly close to inking a deal to acquire Red Hat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let us hope it is for the best. I have a bad feeling about this...

Comment

This will be interesting.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      Let us hope it is for the best. I have a bad feeling about this...
      I didn't have such feeling until I read your post. Why do you feel bad about the purchase?

Comment

As holocaust victims can say IBM is not good company, i hoped they will diminish, but they transformer them-self to sect similar to Accenture and because they are unable in such environment develop something, they are trying to buy something..
        Last edited by ruthan; 28 October 2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

normally this kind of thing isnt good for consumers, but in this case i think IBM is a good company, if the report is true then i think red hat is in good hands
          Last edited by davidbepo; 28 October 2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I can't see this as any good, honestly. What positive effect will IBM have? Is there any benefit at all to IBM buying out the largest open source company, I mean... at all? I'm old enough that I remember big blue was the Microsoft of its day, shady practices included. Now that was a while ago, but I'm more inclined to think that the opportunity to be shady was diminished rather than the reason to do so. IBM has reams of dirty history.

Well, nothing anyone can do about it, just have to hope that things work out.

Comment

I hate to say it like this, but it's probably because IBM thinks they can spin off some profitable service providers. I have no doubt Redhats commercial operating systems are here to stay and so too are Fedora and Centos. We'll see I guess but I think it'll probably be a good thing. More money for open source investment is where this is likely going.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                This will be interesting.

I didn't have such feeling until I read your post. Why do you feel bad about the purchase?
                I also have a bad feeling. It's mainly because I like Red Hat's focus on GNU/Linux desktop with a bunch of their developers scattered around such projects as LibreOffice and Mesa (i.e. apps that doesn't make much sense for servers), and their awesome QA. I don't see much point for IBM in keeping that focus — did you ever see a POWER-based consumer desktop or laptop?

Comment

I can't say I was happy with the news, but it might turn out to be a good thing after all. Apparently they're going to let Jim Whitehurst and the management team lead RedHat and maintain Red Hat's headquarters, facilities, brands and practices. Time will tell though, I guess.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/i...8-10?r=US&IR=T
                  Last edited by kmare; 28 October 2018, 03:03 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    I also have a bad feeling. It's mainly because I like Red Hat's focus on GNU/Linux desktop with a bunch of their developers scattered around such projects as LibreOffice and Mesa (i.e. apps that doesn't make much sense for servers), and their awesome QA. I don't see much point for IBM in keeping that focus — did you ever see a POWER-based consumer desktop or laptop?
                    Well, a modern graphics stack on a PPC with compute and racks of GPU's would make for a cool open source super computer.

Comment

Working...
                    X