EA SEED's Halcyon R&D Engine Experimenting With Vulkan & Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA SEED's Halcyon R&D Engine Experimenting With Vulkan & Linux Support

Phoronix: EA SEED's Halcyon R&D Engine Experimenting With Vulkan & Linux Support

Halcyon is a research and development engine being built by Electronic Arts' SEED group (Search for Extraordinary Experiences Division). While previously they talked up Microsoft DirectX ray-tracing and have been experimenting with it, they have also begun work on a Vulkan back-end for Halcyon that also includes Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is big news. I get the feeling that EA has some inside info about a potential Steam console in the future. You don't expect a company like EA to officially support Linux in any real capacity. How many games has EA published on Linux? Even 3rd party ports? IIRC 0.

Comment

Even if there is a new Steam console launch I doubt EA will be on board. They don't use Steam much as they don't like giving up that 30% cut. Somehow they're OK with supporting consoles though...

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
        Even if there is a new Steam console launch I doubt EA will be on board. They don't use Steam much as they don't like giving up that 30% cut. Somehow they're OK with supporting consoles though...
        If there is a Steam console, they are going to support it no matter what.

Comment

Since its just an experimental engine, it would be nice if they open sourced it...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Since its just an experimental engine, it would be nice if they open sourced it...
            LOL, we can't even get Wing Commander 3 (1994) open sourced and we at least have the complete source code to that. EA opening up anything newer than the 1980s is probably never going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

If there is a Steam console, they are going to support it no matter what.
              Probably Not at launch, only if it becomes popular.

EA no longer releases New PC games via steam.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                Probably Not at launch, only if it becomes popular.

EA no longer releases New PC games via steam.
                Steam is something different. They want to promote Origin on PC. But a console is a console. When we are talking about a Steam console we aren't talking about a Steam Machine... We are talking custom console, like a PS4.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Steam is something different. They want to promote Origin on PC. But a console is a console. When we are talking about a Steam console we aren't talking about a Steam Machine... We are talking custom console, like a PS4.
                  I feel like at this point speculating on an official Valve Steam console is like speculating about Half Life 3.

Comment

I think the initial Steam push by Valve was based on expectations that we would have good driver support of Vulkan already. I don't think it's really viable until that is the situation. Once developers can build a Vulkan game and export it to SteamOS(Linux) in a couple days or weeks, or even launch simultaneously with the PC release reliably, we will see more uptick.

There are tons of people upset about the Windows 10 privacy issues that would welcome with open arms a stable, competitive platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X