Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Picks Up Support For KDE Server-Side Decorations

Phoronix: SDL2 Picks Up Support For KDE Server-Side Decorations

For those of you running KDE Plasma on Wayland and making use of windowed games (or other apps) that make use of SDL2, the experience is about to become a lot better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I found it strange to support the kwin protocol since a standard version of it has been added to XDG protocols

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      I found it strange to support the kwin protocol since a standard version of it has been added to XDG protocols
      I wonder if the dev runs plasma by default - thought to give it a hack and see what happens? also would depend on what he has available to him (i.e. plasma with the XDG protocol recognised)

Comment

There is a Wayland protocol specification. They simply merged KWin protocol implementation. The patch is rather trivial, and reuses KWin code.

Comment

What is the replacement for server side decorations protocol he mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            xdg-decoration https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland...nstable-v1.xml

Comment

It's xdg-decoration. There was a phoronixarticle about it: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Protocols-1.15

Comment

Probably the XDG-Decoration protocol. It's the only thing I've heard of which even remotely fits.
                • Ryan Gordon posted on the WONTFIX'd Mutter issue a day ago, asking them to reconsider their "RESO WONTFIX: We told you. Use CSD." stand.
                • It's apparently supported by GTK+ with the proviso that CSD will be forced if developers follow the advice of the GNOME HIG and define in-titlebar widgets.
                Originally, I'd planned for KWin to be my Wayland compositor once my nVidia card died and got replaced but, with multiple compositors getting behind an SSD standard and GNOME being GNOME, I'm liking the Arcan idea more and more:

I’ll automatically detect where the top bar is, crop it out and hide it inside a titlebar toggle in the server side defined titlebar where I have the stuff that I want to be able to do to the client. There is practically nothing GTK, or anyone else for that matter, can do to counter that.
                Last edited by ssokolow; 30 October 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  [*]Ryan Gordon posted on the WONTFIX'd Mutter issue a day ago, asking them to reconsider their "RESO WONTFIX: We told you. Use CSD." stand.
                  Heh, I haven't seen that one, since I'm not using Gnome. Developers are really being too stubborn there for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Originally, I'd planned for KWin to be my Wayland compositor once my nVidia card died and got replaced but, with multiple compositors getting behind an SSD standard and GNOME being GNOME, I'm liking the Arcan idea more and more
                    Arcan sounds interesting. Is it supposed to work with existing DEs or it's aimed at some custom DE itelf?

Comment

Working...
                    X