Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 29 Officially Released With Arguably The Best Fedora Workstation Release Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Officially Released With Arguably The Best Fedora Workstation Release Yet

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Officially Released With Arguably The Best Fedora Workstation Release Yet

Fedora 29 is now available as the newest version of this Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution. Fedora 29 has a lot of work on its Workstation/desktop spin, the Fedora Silverblue release has come together nicely for an atomic OS, Fedora Server continues to serve as a great basis for likely what RHEL8 will be looking like, and there are various other enhancements throughout the Fedora stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Like I said in the beta release threads: I have no more major issues with Fedora workstation YAY!

The only minor non-gaming issue is when I close discord window (or similar that minimizes to sys-tray) it is still running in the background and I can't open the window again. Using the "start menu" launches a new instance which requires me find and kill the old process. My workaround was to install and use KDE. dnf seems really fast on machine with really good specs, upgrading internet from 2mbps to 100mbps also helps.

I hope Fedora >= 30 will be just as awesome.

Comment

Just updated from F28 to F29, super smooth transition, nothing broken, no errors so far. Using KDE.

Comment

Is it still called a red hat fedora or a big blue whale or something?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Is it still called a red hat fedora or a big blue whale or something?
          It was never called "Red Hat Fedora" and it has always been blue.

Comment

Does this mean they fixed the libvirt nftables bug already? Testing for it is easy, just try bringing up the default NAT connection. It should fail with iptables saying something about the FORWARD chain not existing if yhe bug is still present. AFAIK it was still broken yesterday with the bug pending a blocker tag.

Edit:
            My bad, I mixed up the dates in this bug.
            Last edited by Djhg2000; 30 October 2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Guys, try out the Silverblue spin - this is really awesome! But expect some minor issues.

Comment

I upgraded from v28 last night. Only upgrade drama was VLC - had to remove it and one library it installed because I don't think those packages exist in v29 repos yet. Performance seems better? Text definitely appears to look better.

Still have the same unlock issue that started a few updates back - when the screen locks and the monitors sleep, when I go to wake them up I get nothing but black screens (monitors are on, receiving black signal) with no cursor. I leave the mouse alone and let the monitors sleep again (takes 5-10 sec), then move the mouse again and everything wakes up fine.

Haven't had a chance to confirm if my main problem from v27/28 is still happening - straight up system crashes. Whether it happens during the day when I'm at work or if it happens while I'm using it, occasionally the whole system will just stop - mouse stops, clock stops, time stops, keyboard unresponsive, remote SSH sessions crash. Have to reset the tower. Journalctl shows no clues, no evidence of kernel panics...?

I'm also still using Xorg instead of Wayland because I hit the bug where mouse movement was spiking the CPU - worked fine most of the time but occasionally I'd hit a massive slowdown and realised everything was fine when I didn't touch anything, but when I started moving the mouse in small circles the CPU was hitting 99%. Using Xorg stopped that, but didn't stop the crashes which I'd thought were related. Whether v29 has fixed this or not I haven't tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                  Like I said in the beta release threads: I have no more major issues with Fedora workstation YAY!

The only minor non-gaming issue is when I close discord window (or similar that minimizes to sys-tray) it is still running in the background and I can't open the window again. Using the "start menu" launches a new instance which requires me find and kill the old process. My workaround was to install and use KDE. dnf seems really fast on machine with really good specs, upgrading internet from 2mbps to 100mbps also helps.

I hope Fedora >= 30 will be just as awesome.
                  You need to enable the Topicons (plus?) Gnome extension (by using Gnome Tweak Tool). Then you will see the Discord icon at top. There are other similar software that still need this extension, like Skype, Dropbox, Pcloud and similar software. Mostly proprietary software, though.

Comment

There are some annoying issues with the Nvidia proprietary driver (yes, yes, I know...).

Firstly, wayland is disabled when Nvidia driver is detected:

At the moment GLX applications don't work well when the proprietary nvidia driver is used with a wayland session. For now, disable wayland on that hardware,...

Secondly, if you still enable wayland by commenting the udev rule, Gnome Night Light won't work in wayland with the Nvidia driver:

Comment

Working...
                    X