Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon 4.0 Desktop Update Begins Rolling Out As A Tasty Update

Phoronix: Cinnamon 4.0 Desktop Update Begins Rolling Out As A Tasty Update

Linux Mint's Cinnamon desktop environment derived from GNOME/GTK components has tagged its v4.0.0 release in source and is already beginning to appear in distribution repositories from the likes of Manjaro...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much do Cinnamon benefit from the performance work done in gnome? I know it was a fork, but is there still the ability to take code/patches or is it all very different now?

Comment

I'ts quite a different beast by now. In the beginning they required gnome components, including gnome-shell, but nowadays gnome is not required to use cinnamon at all, since cinnamon 2.0. It is based on the same gnome technologies (GTK+) but is quite compatible with QT5 nowadays. (But depending on the distro used, and due to dependencies, gnome may still be installed when you install cinnamon, although gnome wouldn't be used at all.)

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        How much do Cinnamon benefit from the performance work done in gnome? I know it was a fork, but is there still the ability to take code/patches or is it all very different now?
        If i'm not mistaken, Cinnamon 4.0 is based on Gnome 2.26, so improvements do trickle down to Cinnamon over time, but there's a considerable delay since the Mint team can't afford to rebase to every Gnome release.

That said, Cinnamon 4.0 will benefit greatly from V-Sync related improvements made by the Mint Team.

Comment

Clem confirmed the recent performance patches brought to Mutter 3.30 (and also Canonical's ones) were brought to Cinnamon 4.0. So hopefully it should be quite fast (as it's already clearly smoother than Gnome in my experience)

Of course, that's what's both great & frustrating about Cinnamo / Nemo / XApps etc. The improvements made to the Gnome stack have to be ported manually by a very small team.

Comment

cinnammon is just the better gnome. i hope they dont screw that with too "modern" look.

Comment

Yep, Cinnamon is the "no nonsense" Gnome we should have had from the start.
              BUT to be fair, it still heavily relies on the work carried out by the Gnome team - even though they forked the Shell, Mutter, the common apps etc.
              So Cinnamon exists because of the issues raised by Gnome 3 but would have much trouble surviving without Gnome.

Comment

is fractional scaling support better yet?

Comment

Could some compare the efficiency of different DE?
                  Which takes the least memory to run?
                  Which is the fastest?

Comment

Please dont say "tasty".

Comment

Working...
                    X