Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Linux Support Is Coming For The Huawei MateBook X

Phoronix: Better Linux Support Is Coming For The Huawei MateBook X

Some support improvements are on the way for Huawei's MateBook X, a lightweight ultrabook/laptop that aims to compete with the likes of Apple's MacBook Pro...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PC ultrabooks will never be a competition to Macbooks, they can match their build quality and screens if they try hard enough, but people buy Macbooks largely because of MacOS and to complete the Apple ecosystem as most already own an iPhone. Same reason why Samsung and other Androids are not a real competition to iPhones, it is all about iOS.

Comment

Awesome! If I ever ditch Apple, this would be my choice as it seems to be the only non-Mac notebooks with a 3:2 screen aspect ratio beside the Surface Book.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        PC ultrabooks will never be a competition to Macbooks, they can match their build quality and screens if they try hard enough, but people buy Macbooks largely because of MacOS and to complete the Apple ecosystem as most already own an iPhone. Same reason why Samsung and other Androids are not a real competition to iPhones, it is all about iOS.
        Have you even had a proper look at this product? It's got a good reputation for build quality and screen.

I've used macOS, had a horrible time for anything uncommon to typical consumer usage(eg casual use for media consumption or design). iTerm2 was one of the only positive things I think I enjoyed. Had a horrible experience I recall when the kernel process was slowing the system to a snail pace, either huge memory allocated to it or CPU usage, can't recall, only thing that was smooth was the spinning cursor and bouncing dock icons, even mouse and keyboard had huge input lag. And then there is that mouse of theirs with the charge port on the bottom surface which prevents you using the mouse if it runs out of battery and you need to charge it. Similar thoughts / experiences with iOS, Android was far more enjoyable and liberating :P

What am I missing out as a linux user vs macOS? Having to pay for stuff like a compression UI which lets me look through an archive before extracting it, optionally extracting only a portion of it's contents? A lack of window snapping?(at least wasn't supported natively back in 2016, I think there are a few custom window managers for that now? not sure how friendly that is to average Apple user that sees it on Linux or Windows and wants it). Slow terminal startup?(iirc wide spread issue mentioned online over the years, didn't matter what terminal app was used) At least there's a reasonable filesystem now on offer.

Comment

I wanted to get the MateBook X Pro earlier in the year, noticed it selling much cheaper in the states for some reason(I think that's the case with a lot of electronics though). I was surprised when in China at an official Huawei store that the price wasn't really any better than elsewhere in the world, only the states had the sweet pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

What am I missing out as a linux user vs macOS? Having to pay for stuff like a compression UI which lets me look through an archive before extracting it, optionally extracting only a portion of it's contents? A lack of window snapping?(at least wasn't supported natively back in 2016, I think there are a few custom window managers for that now? not sure how friendly that is to average Apple user that sees it on Linux or Windows and wants it). Slow terminal startup?(iirc wide spread issue mentioned online over the years, didn't matter what terminal app was used) At least there's a reasonable filesystem now on offer.
            Those things you said were all available in KDE before 2016.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              models that curently are not supported

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Have you even had a proper look at this product? It's got a good reputation for build quality and screen.

I've used macOS, had a horrible time for anything uncommon to typical consumer usage(eg casual use for media consumption or design). iTerm2 was one of the only positive things I think I enjoyed. Had a horrible experience I recall when the kernel process was slowing the system to a snail pace, either huge memory allocated to it or CPU usage, can't recall, only thing that was smooth was the spinning cursor and bouncing dock icons, even mouse and keyboard had huge input lag. And then there is that mouse of theirs with the charge port on the bottom surface which prevents you using the mouse if it runs out of battery and you need to charge it. Similar thoughts / experiences with iOS, Android was far more enjoyable and liberating :P

You missed my point, I was speaking about market in general, there will always be a small percentage of users that will go back and forth from Apple's ecosystem or will find Windows or Linux more usable for their purposes, but majority of users out there buy Macs and iPhones because of their software and effortless integration of all their devices and services via Apple ID and iCloud, it just works, looks pretty, performs admirably. Sure a part of the appeal is the exclusivity of Apple products, but their devices are well made, well designed and work well. Most users out there want that, even those who can't afford Apple products want them and many buy them as soon as they can afford them.

That is the reason ultrabooks like this one or Dell XPS or any other are meaningless for most users, they can try matching Macbooks for build quality and screen quality, but they are not Apple and don't run MacOS.

Ask random persons on the street whether they want a Dell XPS with 4K screen that runs Windows/Linux or they want a Macbook with Retina screen and MacOS, most will want a Mac, if you ask them whether they want a Samsung Galaxy S9+ or iPhone XS even more will say iPhone. That is the Apple appeal and no amount of quality in PC ultrabooks will dethrone that for majority of buyers out there providing they can afford Apple products at all.

Comment

majority of users out there buy Macs and iPhones
                  Did you write that statement incorrectly? Apple is still small in the markets for desktop PCs and mobile devices in the world where Windows and Android dominate.

their devices are well made, well designed and work well.
                  Well designed...as in aesthetically right? Not functionally. The mouse example I mentioned is a perfect wtf in regards to functional design. Some people place higher importance to aesthetics though and aren't bothered by the fact that it can impair functionality(they can just buy a spare).

That is the reason ultrabooks like this one or Dell XPS or any other are meaningless for most users, they can try matching Macbooks for build quality and screen quality, but they are not Apple and don't run MacOS.
                  The fact they're not Apple and don't run macOS is a positive for many. Go look at the reviews and feedbacks. Even some users that would buy macbooks in the past are choosing MateBooks. Apple established itself as a premium brand and with macOS further separates itself to appeal to exclusivity, bragging rights etc. Not one response from you about all the bullshit I experienced, sure the UI is visually nice, but if you're going to prioritize that being buttery smooth when the system shits itself out of the blue, you got your priorities wrong. I can get a lot more out of a system for my money if I don't go with Apple. You're not wrong, it's a great choice for people that are technically inept and solve their problems by throwing money at it. Or because it's fashionable, for social status etc.

Recently Apple was fined for intentionally slowing down their older products with updates to encourage customers to upgrade to newer iterations, they admitted to it. You want to support a company like that? Oh right, Apple users have that stereotype of being ok to throw money away, so it doesn't matter then I guess?
                  The Interview (Film), James Franco (Celebrity), Dave Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Those things you said were all available in KDE before 2016.
                    You might have misread what I said. I was taking the piss about macOS.

I was really surprised by the fact that I couldn't browse a zip archive without extracting it(found some spotlight plugin for it that let me peek at the contents, but not extract a portion). Went to some apple communities to ask and they were all confused saying just pay for one of the apps that does it on the app store. Ran into a similar situation for something else with the same response. They're just wallet happy for features that you'd get free on Windows or Linux :\

Comment

Working...
                    X