Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER On-Chip Controller Driver Coming For Linux 4.21

Phoronix: POWER On-Chip Controller Driver Coming For Linux 4.21

The IBM POWER On-Chip Controller (OCC) driver is queued for inclusion in the next version of the Linux kernel. This on-chip controller driver collects sensor data from the system and processor, including temperature and power metrics, and exposes that to the user as well as handling thermal/power management tasks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that this would not be some sort of a trojan horse..
    Does this "On Chip" controller is in the ISA ?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      I hope that this would not be some sort of a trojan horse..
      Does this "On Chip" controller is in the ISA ?
      The OCC is a PowerPC 405 core. Its firmware is fully open-source and reprogrammable, so there's no particular risk associated with it like you seem to think. https://git.raptorcs.com/git/talos-occ/ is the complete source to the Talos OCC if you're curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post

The OCC is a PowerPC 405 core. Its firmware is fully open-source and reprogrammable, so there's no particular risk associated with it like you seem to think. https://git.raptorcs.com/git/talos-occ/ is the complete source to the Talos OCC if you're curious.
        Well...
        The thing that makes powe so nice its exactly the fact that after created...you should not be able to reprogram it...
        That is what we call security..

It that ship is reprogram-able...power loose the interest the people have put on it..
        I hope it would be a way to burn fuses or so, so that it would be impossible to change tings in the processor..

Comment

Working...
        X