Qt 5.12 Lowering The QML Memory Consumption, Better JavaScript Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.12 Lowering The QML Memory Consumption, Better JavaScript Performance

Phoronix: Qt 5.12 Lowering The QML Memory Consumption, Better JavaScript Performance

As part of The Qt Company's ongoing improvements to their tool-kit and with Qt 5.12 being an LTS release, this cycle they focused a lot on improving the performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The JavaScript speed-ups for Qt compared to older Qt5 releases is quite staggering while the overall performance compared to Qt 5.9 LTS is about 21%."

Probably the wording is not correct here, because I read it as the new Qt version's performance is one fifth of 5.9, which I assume is not true.

Comment

Do they plan shipping Qt builds with Vulkan enabled?

Comment

Good if true, QML is a morbidly obese memory hog, although such claims have been made before and didn't materialize.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Do they plan shipping Qt builds with Vulkan enabled?
        Pointless until they get a vulkan renderer. If YOU want to use it, there is nothing stopping you from doing so, it has been supported for a while and it has opengl data interop.

The wording feedback is valid too, "is about 21% better" is how it should be. Although if I were to use "about", I'd round it down to 20%.
        Last edited by ddriver; 16 November 2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Good if true, QML is a morbidly obese memory hog, although such claims have been made before and didn't materialize.

Pointless until they get a vulkan renderer. If YOU want to use it, there is nothing stopping you from doing so, it has been supported for a while and it has opengl data interop.

The wording feedback is valid too, "is about 21% better" is how it should be. Although if I were to use "about", I'd round it down to 20%.
          They don't enable Vulkan because it's pointless? They think that getting users/devs to build Qt from source is a good decision? Based on what do you make this claim? Do you work for the Qt Company? Or you're just replying without knowing the matter.

Comment

Awesome! QT is advancing extremely fast!

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

They don't enable Vulkan because it's pointless? They think that getting users/devs to build Qt from source is a good decision? Based on what do you make this claim? Do you work for the Qt Company? Or you're just replying without knowing the matter.
              Gee, again, nothing prevents you from using vulkan in a Qt application. It is not disabled, and has been supported for a while, for over a year actually. They don't ship the prebuild version with it because it doesn't make sense for them to - it would make sense if they had a vulkan rendered backend for the scenegraph, which is not likely to happen any time soon. THEIR build doesn't contain anything THEY don't need it to contain, it is that simple really.

Prebuilt binaries are mediocre anyway, they are a "lowest common denominator" configs. There are many good reasons to do your own builds configured the way you need them to be, and it only takes like 30 minutes on an average contemporary machine, and certainly not that much of a bother to do once every several months.

But if you feel that strongly about it, asking here ain't gonna be of much help, head over to bugreports.qt.io and file a feature request

Comment

Are there any major open-source applications using QML (except maybe KDE/Plasma widgets)? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Gee, again, nothing prevents you from using vulkan in a Qt application. It is not disabled, and has been supported for a while, for over a year actually. They don't ship the prebuild version with it because it doesn't make sense for them to - it would make sense if they had a vulkan rendered backend for the scenegraph, which is not likely to happen any time soon. THEIR build doesn't contain anything THEY don't need it to contain, it is that simple really.

Prebuilt binaries are mediocre anyway, they are a "lowest common denominator" configs. There are many good reasons to do your own builds configured the way you need them to be, and it only takes like 30 minutes on an average contemporary machine, and certainly not that much of a bother to do once every several months.

But if you feel that strongly about it, asking here ain't gonna be of much help, head over to bugreports.qt.io and file a feature request
                  You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Even Linux distros like Fedora and Ubuntu ship with Vulkan disabled. None of what you said makes sense, there's a lot of stuff they don't use for the scenegraph or whatever - doesn't mean they disable it. You probably don't understand that Qt is a toolkit and its main purpose is not to enable the toolkit devs to do stuff with their toolkit. It's all about the users of the toolkit, get it?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
                    Are there any major open-source applications using QML (except maybe KDE/Plasma widgets)? I don't think I've ever seen one.
                    Haven't seen one but I believe there are a few, nonetheless QML is vastly overrated somewhat like Java applets or JavaFX when these were alive.

Comment

Working...
                    X