Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon ROCm 1.9.2 Released - Brings SDMA/RDMA Support For Vega 20, HIP/HCC Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 1.9.2 Released - Brings SDMA/RDMA Support For Vega 20, HIP/HCC Improvements

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 1.9.2 Released - Brings SDMA/RDMA Support For Vega 20, HIP/HCC Improvements

While we know ROCm 2.0 is coming out before year's end and that will have many improvements like complete OpenCL 2.0 support, ROCm 1.9.2 is out today as the latest stable release for this Radeon Open Compute stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

By the way, Gregory Stoner, the ROCm project lead, works for Intel now: https://twitter.com/angstroms/status...87553859706880

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      By the way, Gregory Stoner, the ROCm project lead, works for Intel now: https://twitter.com/angstroms/status...87553859706880
      Intel snatching everyone from RTG basically. Might as well name their GPU's 'Radeon' when they come out. Intel Radeon RX 6xx.

Comment

It cant be just money. Has AMD not giving them enough resources or focus for their needs?

Comment

Originally posted by ksec View Post
          It cant be just money. Has AMD not giving them enough resources or focus for their needs?
          Intel probably pays more while allowing them to do less, and, while giving a better impression on their resume. I'd say that's enticing enough for the average person.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Intel probably pays more while allowing them to do less, and, while giving a better impression on their resume. I'd say that's enticing enough for the average person.
            Well I guess if Intel paid them double the price than it is hard to say no.

Comment

I don't consider Raja a big loss for AMD. The GPU releases under his reign was less than stellar. Big hype but poor execution.
              I have more hope in David Wand and Lisa Su.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
                I don't consider Raja a big loss for AMD. The GPU releases under his reign was less than stellar. Big hype but poor execution.
                The failure of Vega wasn't Raja's fault, nor was the hype that went around it. He stated how the company was taking people away from his development team to focus on the PS5 GPU instead, so, the Vega team was under-staffed and never got to complete their plans. Intel is aware that he's got real talent, and since AMD basically undermined him, it didn't take much convincing for him to switch to Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
                  Just some pseudo-psychological thinking here: Judging from their public appearances, to no surprises for everyone Raja and David seem to be totally different personality types. Wheras Raja is outgoing inspirational type, David seems to be the deeply analytical type. Lisa Su is also more of a analytical and rational person (her decisions where to invest their precious R&D money was quite telling). And I'd assume David and Lisa getting along better in the end when making tough business and technical decisions, that is if their thinking is well aligned. Raja seemed to have a different agenda for RTG and AMD. In the end, Lisa prevailed during that power struggle and let's wait and see what Raja can bring to the market for Intel with more ressources at his hands. Convincing key talent to join him is quite a feat already considering the past of all the infighting between Intel management and their GPU team (which was already begging for more ressources for years). To compete successfully with AMD and Nvidia in the professional and gamer GPU market, they still need to solve a lot of problems, getting their process fit for GPUs is just one of them; Software and driver support is another.

As a consumer I hope to reap the benefits of more competition. Nvidia being the dominant player brings us more Turing-like rip-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    The failure of Vega wasn't Raja's fault, nor was the hype that went around it. He stated how the company was taking people away from his development team to focus on the PS5 GPU instead, so, the Vega team was under-staffed and never got to complete their plans. Intel is aware that he's got real talent, and since AMD basically undermined him, it didn't take much convincing for him to switch to Intel.
                    Of course it was on him. The design of Vega and Polaris were under his vision. The GPU wasn't going to save AMD. The CPU was always the strength and if he couldn't manage to develop a compelling architecture for what he promised he deserved to be canned.

He lasted a very short time at Apple because he couldn't produce as good as he talked.

Comment

Working...
                    X