No announcement yet.

Outreachy Announces Its Winter 2018 Interns To Work On The Linux Kernel, GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outreachy Announces Its Winter 2018 Interns To Work On The Linux Kernel, GNOME

Phoronix: Outreachy Announces Its Winter 2018 Interns To Work On The Linux Kernel, GNOME

Following the recent application period, Outreachy on Thursday announced the dozens of selected participants who will have a $5500 USD paid internship the next few months for working on open-source projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Being exclusive to certain groups means that is not open to all participants. Outreachy excludes people based on the color of their skin, their gender and their sexual orientation, hence Outreachy is discriminatory, sexist and racist.

It is sad that the GNOME project which is so amazing runs Outreachy in a discriminatory manner.
    I cannot support this, and I cannot donate to the GNOME Foundation.

Comment

Outreachy is about increasing inclusivity of groups who are under-represented in the FOSS community. There'd be no point in Outreachy if it took on straight, white males because we're already the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Outreachy is about increasing inclusivity of groups who are under-represented in the FOSS community. There'd be no point in Outreachy if it took on straight, white males because we're already the majority.
        Diversity should come naturally and not be forced, you don't solve the problem (and it is a problem) of under representation by active reverse discrimination, this was one of the reasons for the backlash against the Linux CoC (who was written by someone that actively reverse discriminates).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Being exclusive to certain groups means that is not open to all participants. Outreachy excludes people based on the color of their skin, their gender and their sexual orientation, hence Outreachy is discriminatory, sexist and racist.

It is sad that the GNOME project which is so amazing runs Outreachy in a discriminatory manner.
          I cannot support this, and I cannot donate to the GNOME Foundation.
          Damn, I wanted to fully like your post for your first paragraph until I saw you say GNOME is "amazing".

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Diversity should come naturally and not be forced.
            Yes.

But diversity doesn't come naturally. There is both passive and active resistance, including from posters right here on this forum and in this thread. If someone chooses to exercise their freedom to help a few overcome that resistance, I can only see it as a good thing.

Comment

obligatory strawman comment

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                But diversity doesn't come naturally. There is both passive and active resistance, including from posters right here on this forum and in this thread. If someone chooses to exercise their freedom to help a few overcome that resistance, I can only see it as a good thing.
                This is ridiculous; most open source contributions, such as patches and commits, are made relatively anonymously, with many project leaders never meeting most of their contributors in person, often times they may be at opposite side of the country, if not the world. Consequently, the project leaders will not know nor care about the ethnicity or gender of the person submitting the code, only the quality of the code.

Now it's true that some fields are dominated by white males, but this is a natural process, I myself studied Physics in college and later Computer Science and yes it was primarily a sausage fest and mostly white guys but I can assure you we didn't all get together, have a secret meeting and plot to keep any non-white or women out of either field.

My experience has been that men and women tend to gravitate to different areas of interest, the nursing field has for years been dominated by women and over the past 10 or so years it is heavily dominated by Filipino women; I remember going back to school to get certified as a Medical Assistant and in a class of 30 people, I was the only guy, every one else was a women, ranging in ages from 18 to the mid-50's.

I used to work with this young guy that was a Behavioral Health Counselor in a Psych Ward I used to work in and I asked him how he got into the field and his response was his dad had told him he would pay for any college degree the kid wanted to earn, so long as he graduated. So the kid, in his own words, wanted something that was easy and that he could meet a lot of chicks and he chose psychology, because the classes required little thought (as he claimed) and was full of women.

This supposed discrimination that liberals keep going on about only exists in liberal's tiny, polluted, sick, twisted minds, probably from all the pot those liberal hippie bastards smoked.

Damn hippies.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  Yes.

a - someone's freedoom ends when the right of others begins , outreachy violates aplicants rights to not be discriminated becuase of irrelevant qualities
                  b - programs like outreachy dont end discrimination , they perpetuate directly and because of the backlash they cause

Comment

Instead of the same old tired comments on Outreachy itself, could you folks comment on the items being worked on, and maybe give other suggestions for good intern projects on GNOME or Linux? That would be an interesting conversation..

Comment

Working...
                    X