Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 6.2 Branched, The Beta Dance Begins & x86 32-bit Builds Are Deprecated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 6.2 Branched, The Beta Dance Begins & x86 32-bit Builds Are Deprecated

Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.2 Branched, The Beta Dance Begins & x86 32-bit Builds Are Deprecated

LibreOffice 6.2 was branched from master this weekend and the first beta release tagged for this open-source, cross-platform office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can see that affecting more Windows users. In Linux, machines incapable of 64 bit tend to be too weak for LO, so distros tend to push lightweight solutions instead of LO, like what we see on Raspbian on a RPi. Windows on the other hand do not let you to switch freely from 32 to 64 bit versions, so you are stuck with what came with the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I can see that affecting more Windows users.
      It seems they only drop 32bit Linux builds not Windows ones.

Comment

Linux x86 (32-bit) releases are deprecated. Starting with a future version (to be announced), there will be no Linux x86 builds produced by TDF. This does not mean that Linux x86 compatibility will be removed.
        That is OKet, interested distros will build them. Debian builds LO on 10+ architectures anyway

Say demote instead of deprecate there. That is something opposite of promote
        Last edited by dungeon; 18 November 2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          so distros tend to push lightweight solutions instead of LO, like what we see on Raspbian on a RPi.
          Actually raspbian is shipped with LO, outdated version coz is based on debian stable, but you can install 6.1.x swapping to the testing branch

Comment

Which piece of LibreOffice do you tend to use the most? or find the most value in?

I probably use LibreOffice sheets the most, but I think LibreOffice feels not so modern. Maybe Excel is easier and more intuitive, I don't know know.

Comment

Sorry I just see they remove LO from the new releases

Comment

Writer and Calc. I don't care for the "modern" look as it doesn't affect my writing abilities. I am, however, excited about the welding effort since it will make Libreoffice feel more and more like a native GTK+ application as time progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Which piece of LibreOffice do you tend to use the most? or find the most value in?

I probably use LibreOffice sheets the most, but I think LibreOffice feels not so modern. Maybe Excel is easier and more intuitive, I don't know know.
                  Speaking about modern, LibreOffice provides a variety of user interface. Wish to try them, Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Optional Features -> Check Enable experimental features.
                  Should you have OpenCL installed, Tools -> OpenCL -> Allow use of OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    I can see that affecting more Windows users. In Linux, machines incapable of 64 bit tend to be too weak for LO, so distros tend to push lightweight solutions instead of LO, like what we see on Raspbian on a RPi. Windows on the other hand do not let you to switch freely from 32 to 64 bit versions, so you are stuck with what came with the machine.
                    Uh... you can just download and install a new build. I mean you may have to uninstall and reinstall but it works fine.

The reason I use 32-bit on Windows is the reduced space and memory usage. For something I only use occasionally it's really not worth soaking up another ~50MB of SSD with it, downloading the extra bytes on updates, installing them, etc. Bobcat doesn't have huge caches either, so I imagine the code size might outweigh any performance benefits.

Comment

Working...
                    X